Issues with Linux installation on ASUS

ok lets go back to basics
switch the machine off, insert the USB, switch on whilst ticking the short boot menu key [usually F8 on an Asus]
from the short boot list, select USB and enter, the iSO should now load to ram for testing,
if it loads ok you can select install, when it comes to partitioning use the drop-down box to select your drive/partition, OR select install alongside windows and let the installer sort it out,
many newbies watch bloody you tubes and think they have to partition the HDD themselves, and this causes a myriad of problems, cant find the partition/wrong format/ wrong size/ add infinitum .
On this point, since I definitely am a newbie and I am following along the official Mint installation guide, the first time I tried installing it I chose “Install Linux alongside Windows Boot Manager” because I wanted to have both Windows and Mint…but then the installation took more than one hour until it crasched. The guide is instead suggesting i select “Something Else” and do the partitions myself. Shall I still try to go with the “Install Linux alongside Windows Boot Manager” option (maybe this time it will work) or trying with something else and do the partitions myself?

On this point, since I definitely am a newbie and I am following along the official Mint installation guide
my guide was written with minimal technobabble for newbies. and has been used many many times