issue booting from usb, can't get past startup loader

kochmah

Reaction score
Credits
i'm trying to install manjaro on an old gaming laptop. I can get into the boot menu on the usb but when i try to boot from it it loads for a few moments and then freezes. As such:

stuck.jpg

can anyone help? does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

thing's ive tried:
boot with regular drivers
boot with proprietary drivers
usb in different port
try to boot ubuntu instead of manjaro (same issue)
burned with both Rufus and Belena Etcher
i have quick boot turned off and secure boot disabled
The pc isn't that old, and i can still boot windows just fine. So i doubt its a hardware issue.

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot and secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/DVD
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

in general if you hit esc during the boot while the splash screen is showing it will show you how everything is loading in the background. Do this so you can see the failures. You will have to watch and entries shoot past fast. Note anything that fails, and what the last thing that succeeded before the freeze. this should give us more to go on.

in general if you hit esc during the boot while the splash screen is showing it will show you how everything is loading in the background. Do this so you can see the failures. You will have to watch and entries shoot past fast. Note anything that fails, and what the last thing that succeeded before the freeze. this should give us more to go on.
thank you, i can see now that it's getting stuck on "a start job is running for monitoring of lvm2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or progress polling"

I can keep googling from here on out, i probably should have made this thread when i had more time as i have to go now. I kind of lost track of the clock. Thanks for your reply!

thank you, i can see now that it's getting stuck on "a start job is running for monitoring of lvm2 mirrors, snapshots etc. using dmeventd or progress polling"

I can keep googling from here on out, i probably should have made this thread when i had more time as i have to go now. I kind of lost track of the clock. Thanks for your reply!
take care that sometimes the last thing you see is the last thing that succeeded. long as it is stuck on "starting" not "started". don't want to chase down the wrong wild goose.

Welcome to the Forum.
1716433662946.gif

I have to add to the post by Brickwizard:
Some manufactures play dirty using half & half (64 bit CPU, 32 bit bootloader).
I am lucky with rotation of these 3 distros if one that does not work: Puppy, AntiX, MX.

@kochmah wrote:

@Brickwizard wrote:
check SHA sum

The verification of the downloaded isos hasn't been confirmed. One needs to verify the isos with the shasums in order to exclude a "bad write" as a factor in the installation problem. Verifying the isos should provide some comfort in knowing the problem, if it reoccurs, is elsewhere.

Some writing programs introduce padding to the isos in the form of empty bytes which can interfere with the iso's capacity to boot properly.

Never use tools such as these, they modify the image being copied to USB.
For Linux ISO's it's always better to create bootable USB from within live Linux with Linux tools.

In case of debian it's as simple as running a cp and sync commands.

To confirm these non Linux tools modify the image you can run SHA test within installer and you'll see.

I have to add to the post by Brickwizard:
Some manufactures play dirty using half & half (64 bit CPU, 32 bit bootloader).
I am lucky with rotation of these 3 distros if one that does not work: Puppy, AntiX, MX.
yes they do, I thought it stopped though.

Members online

Latest posts