Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

Is there APL for Linux available?

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by Eeva Häkkinen, May 2, 2017.

1. Eeva Häkkinen

Eeva Häkkinen New Member

Any working version considered, free or commercial.

2. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

I was able to find this:
    https://www.gnu.org/software/apl/

What distribution of Linux are you running? We can let you know how to install it or look for available packages..

3. Eeva Häkkinen

Eeva Häkkinen New Member

Thank you so much! I am running Ubuntu, but might consider changing it, if needed.

4. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

I've never used APL, but according to the gnu.org site, you should be able to install it by downloading the latest package from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/apl. The readme (ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/apl/README.files) shows a few there.. depending on if you're 32bit or 64bit you'd download either one of these:
    Code:
    Debian Binary (i386) Package:        apl_1.7-1_i386.deb
    Debian Binary (amd64) Package:        apl_1.7-1_amd64.deb
    (Ubuntu is Debian based)

Once downloaded, you can open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /path/to/apl_1.7-1_xxxxx.deb
    Then, check for any errors, etc..

it 'should' be installed now.

Again, i'm not familiar with APL, but following the regular package install guidelines, this is how you'd acquire and install it.

Rob

5. Eeva Häkkinen

Eeva Häkkinen New Member

Well, I know APL better than LINUX - at least used to, but I'll try. TryAPL worked well for me, so I am optimistic. Thank you!

6. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

Is the the A+ programming language any good for you? As far as I understand it, A+ is an extension of APL. if you search your package manager for packages containing aplus-fsf in the name, you should find it.

From a quick look on my Debian system, the following packages are available:
    aplus-fsf (A+ runtime/interpreter),
    aplus-fsf-dev (A+ libraries/development tools),
    aplus-fsf-doc (A+ documentation).

There are also some ancillary packages:
    aplus-fsf-el (lisp bindings for A+/APL in emacs)
    xfonts-kapl (fonts for APL/A+)

I've never used APL or A+, so I don't know a lot about them, or the differences between them. I've seen a few bits of APL code posted on various parts of the internet, like the famous APL example which implements the 'game of life' in one line of code. But I've never looked into the language for long enough to be able to understand any of it!

7. Eeva Häkkinen

Eeva Häkkinen New Member

APL+ (if it is more or less the same that used to be called APL2) is OK, but I do not actually need any of the additional functionality, so basic APL is fine for me. APL is great for one-line coding!

8. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Member

No worries!
    I just thought I'd mention A+ as a possible alternative because there are still packages for it in the Debian repositories. And therefore it's likely to be in the Ubuntu repo's too!

For some reason the GNU APL packages don't seem to be included in the Debian repos. Not sure if they got dropped because of lack of popularity, or if they've been orphaned for too long and dropped, or if they were EVER included, for that matter! :/

And I could be wrong, but from the little I have read about A+ - I think any valid APL program should run under A+.

By all means - try installing GNU APL from the pre-built debian packages as Rob has suggested. It may well install cleanly and run with no problems whatsoever.

But if it does fail to install cleanly, your only other option would be to either build and install GNU APL from source, or perhaps try installing the fsf's A+ packages from the repo's.

;)