Is Debian 12 Bookworm becoming unstable?

banzaigtv

Reaction score
Credits
Debian 12.3 release in December was a failure due to a file corruption bug on Linux 6.1.0-14. After finding out about this, I restored to my previous Timeshift backup and went back to 6.1.0-13 immediately. I postponed updates. Then Debian 12.4 was released and even that had a buggy kernel (6.1.0-15) which broke Wi-Fi for many users. I still postponed updates until two weeks later, I finally updated when Linux 6.1.0-16 was released. Now Debian 12.5 was just released and Linux 6.1.0-18 broke NVIDIA drivers. I'm not affected by this bug since I use Intel and AMD graphics on my computers, but taking no chances, I'm still postponing updates until March until all bugs have been fixed. It seems like Debian 12 is now becoming like Windows 11 where you have to hold off on updating your system until all issues have been resolved. Is this becoming the new normal? I tried to warn others on a couple of Facebook groups to postpone updates, but they refused to listen and even blocked me. If some members' systems broke after updates, it's their fault for not listening to my advice. I'm currently using Debian 12 stable and LMDE 6 on my computers, but if either one of them breaks after installing updates in March, then I'm installing Kubuntu / Linux Mint 21.3 on both computers IMMEDIATELY!!!

Linux Mint 21.3, is incredibly stable. I can vouch for that.

I have no troubles installing the updates on Debian, even on SID my system is solid!
Greetz,
Eddy

Linux Mint 21.3, is incredibly stable. I can vouch for that.
I honestly believe you. I had a gaming PC which used Linux Mint 19.3 faithfully and it still held up after all those years. If I have to, then both computers may end up switching to Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon / XFCE. Only time will tell, though.

Now Debian 12.5 was just released and Linux 6.1.0-18 broke NVIDIA drivers. I'm not affected by this bug since I use Intel and AMD graphics on my computers, but taking no chances, I'm still postponing updates until March until all bugs have been fixed.
Have a look at this thread - https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=158200

Seems the upgrading to kernel 6.5 from Debian backports fixed the Nvidia issue

Here is the repo if you need it - deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports main contrib non-free-firmware non-free

I'm currently using Debian 12 stable and LMDE 6 on my computers, but if either one of them breaks after installing updates in March, then I'm installing Kubuntu / Linux Mint 21.3 on both computers IMMEDIATELY!!!
You can always try installing a more recent kernel from backports instead of using the kernel from the normal repos.

I Been using Debian for many years and it has always been very stable and reliable. You maybe reading too much into some of those reports. I'm currently using kernel 6.1.0-18 with no problems.

You can always try installing a more recent kernel from backports instead of using the kernel from the normal repos.
Would it be possible to install Linux 5.15 LTS on Debian 12? That kernel version worked fine for me on Ubuntu / Mint. I'm open to installing Linux 6.7-liquorix, but then I could have issues getting VirtualBox to work on a Liquorix kernel module.

Would it be possible to install Linux 5.15 LTS on Debian 12?
Only if it's available in the default repos or in backports, otherwise not probably. Unless you compile it yourself or if you installed an alternative kernel that uses that kernel as a base, which you just mentioned.

Debian 12.3 release in December was a failure due to a file corruption bug on Linux 6.1.0-14. After finding out about this, I restored to my previous Timeshift backup and went back to 6.1.0-13 immediately. I postponed updates. Then Debian 12.4 was released and even that had a buggy kernel (6.1.0-15) which broke Wi-Fi for many users. I still postponed updates until two weeks later, I finally updated when Linux 6.1.0-16 was released. Now Debian 12.5 was just released and Linux 6.1.0-18 broke NVIDIA drivers. I'm not affected by this bug since I use Intel and AMD graphics on my computers, but taking no chances, I'm still postponing updates until March until all bugs have been fixed. It seems like Debian 12 is now becoming like Windows 11 where you have to hold off on updating your system until all issues have been resolved. Is this becoming the new normal? I tried to warn others on a couple of Facebook groups to postpone updates, but they refused to listen and even blocked me. If some members' systems broke after updates, it's their fault for not listening to my advice. I'm currently using Debian 12 stable and LMDE 6 on my computers, but if either one of them breaks after installing updates in March, then I'm installing Kubuntu / Linux Mint 21.3 on both computers IMMEDIATELY!!!
Debian 12 is not unsable, the only reason according to your descrption as to why it might be unstable for you is it depends on how you installed it?

Did you install generic kernel and all firmware during installation or targeted ones?

The only problem I had with my debian is installing nvidia driver package from nvidia site, I used kernel from backports and now it works, it's all stable.

Debian 12 is not unsable, the only reason according to your description as to why it might be unstable for you is it depends on how you installed it?

Did you install generic kernel and all firmware during installation or targeted ones?

The only problem I had with my debian is installing nvidia driver package from nvidia site, I used kernel from backports and now it works, it's all stable.
I installed the generic Debian 6.1 kernel. I don't use NVIDIA and will not be installing system updates until March, so there's no way of knowing yet if the updates will go smoothly. If necessary, I will install a newer kernel from Debian backports if Linux 6.1 becomes a big problem.

Debian is fine. From what I’ve read, it’s the early versions of the 6.x kernels causing driver related issues affecting all Linux distributions using those versions.

The solution is either to update to a newer kernel, which has been patched to address the driver related issues identified so far, or to use an older kernel.

I’m still running Debian 11 (oldstable), mainly because I’m happy with 11 and can’t be arsed to back everything up and update to 12 yet.

And reading about some of the issues people are having, I’m kinda glad I didn’t update yet.

I might skip 12 altogether and do a fresh install of 13 whenever that arrives!

I think the key is all my machines run intel graphics cards. I have no need for Nvidia and they seem to be the ones with the problems. 6.1.0-18 is working fine here. Debian 12 has been solid since installing it. No problems at all.

I'll look into the newer kernels. But if Linux 6.1 causes any issues, then I'll either enable the backport kernels, attempt to compile the Linux 6.6 LTS kernel, or install SpiralLinux which already has the backport kernel and seems to be an amazing distro. (The Cinnamon version of SpiralLinux seems to be an LMDE killer once you properly apply custom themes to it.)

I'll look into the newer kernels. But if Linux 6.1 causes any issues, then I'll either enable the backport kernels, attempt to compile the Linux 6.6 LTS kernel, or install SpiralLinux which already has the backport kernel and seems to be an amazing distro. (The Cinnamon version of SpiralLinux seems to be an LMDE killer once you properly apply custom themes to it.)
You don't seem like a typical Debian user, you will be better off with some other distribution

So I finally updated my LMDE 6 computer this morning. No issues so far, but I will test it out for a few days. My Debian 12 computer will update next week if all is OK. However, my LMDE 6 computer will be switching to Tuxedo OS next week. While it's based on Ubuntu, it has the power profile dashboard it needs to better control the CPU power levels since that AMD CPU runs hot when boost is on. It seems to run better on KDE Plasma anyway.

This is most bizarre post that I red recently. In short you are complaining about latest kernel because someone (not you) has an issue with nvidia? Is this correct.
Ridiculous, because it does not affect you (not using nvidia) and also nvidia external module often has issues with the kernel updates. Usually one upgrades kernel fast and waits for nvidia or is patien and upgrades kernel when new, compatible with new kernel nvidia module is released.
This issue affect any external module, not only nvidia. If there is anyone to blame, then kernel maintainers who introduce changes in a way that almost each time require external module to be rebuild.

Anyway, this issue is as old as external modules. Nothing new, no reason to complain about whatever instability.

@Aristarchus just a mild warning - your "tone" is confrontational and derogatory.

Dial it back a little and be civil, please, or do not post.

Thank you.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts