Internet keeps dropping out

Woody728

Reaction score
Credits
Hello
So, I got Ubuntu 22.04 back in October. Everything was working fine for a while but all of a sudden, in January, I started having problems with my internet connection. I could still use the internet, but it kept going offline and I had to keep reconnecting. It got to the point where I would have to reconnect every time I loaded a new page. I know this is a software issue, because I have dual boot with Windows and the internet works perfectly fine on there.

Since I'm able to use the internet on Windows, I've been quite lazy in solving this problem. I looked at the most common solutions back in January when the problem first started happening, but none of them worked. I've actually forgotten what I tried now, so let's just start again. I'll try whatever solutions you propose.

If you did a Windows update, check quick start and secure boot are still disabled [some Windows updates will turn them back on] if thats ok and its a laptop, then try purging the bios, whilst switched on, save all work, then press and hold power button down for 60 seconds, release and switch on

Quick start and secure boot are still disabled.
So, just to be clear, do you want me to hold down the power button to turn off the computer, or turn off the computer then hold down the power button to turn it on?

Whilst the laptop is ON push and hold the power button down for 60 seconds [most laptops made since 2010 have a purge facility, saves having to strip it down to pull the comos battery]

To be honest, the solutions in that thread are too complicated for me to understand. I don't have expert-level IT knowledge. I'm just an average Joe who wants an operating system that's better than Windows.

I take it that the top solution in that thread doesn't apply to me, since they're talking about their connection dropping every 20 minutes due to some kind of timer, whereas mine is dropping every time I load a new page.

The second comment about running the dmesg command seems to be about accessing some sort of log of errors? I typed the same command into my terminal and it generated a large amount of text. I have no idea what any of it means or how to sort through it to find information that's relevant to the problem I'm having.

There are also some comments saying that the wifi was trying to use the 5 GHz band and they solved the problem by changing it to the 2.4 GHz band. I take it that doesn't apply to me either, since my internet was working originally and it wouldn't randomly switch from using the 2.4 GHz band to the 5 GHz band for no reason?

Have you rebooted your router ?

Well, seeing the internet is absolutely littered with this problem regarding Ubuntu 22.04.....you are certianly not the only one, which is of some comfort.

My research shows : https://duckduckgo.com/?q=internet+problems+ubuntu+22.04&t=braveed&atb=v385-1&ia=web

which is a long list of "how to fix it" tutorials from such luminaries as askubuntu/superusr.com/linuxconfig.org etc etc etc

If these solutions are too complicated for you to understand, the best suggestion I can offer is for you to change Distro.

Perhaps to Linux Mint....or whatever....your choice......none of the other distros are reporting any drama, just Ubuntu

Last edited:
I think I've fixed it. I typed
sudo modprobe -r ath10k_pci
into the terminal and that seems to have done it. Apparently this reset the in-tree driver (not sure what that is - a built-in driver, I suppose?) I'm not sure why the in-tree driver would have suddenly stopped working for no reason in the first place though. If anyone could explain to me what has happened, so that I understand what went wrong and how I fixed it, I would be grateful.

Last edited:
Well done.

Do you have a link to where you found that command ? I would be interested to read it.

That is interesting....above my paygrade too.

Does that command and therefore the state of the internet connection in Ubuntu survive a reboot ?

That is interesting....above my paygrade too.

Does that command and therefore the state of the internet connection in Ubuntu survive a reboot ?
Only time will tell.
OK... I'll reboot it now. I hope my internet will still be working afterwards.

Glad to hear that.

Staff online