Installing linux pentium 4

bbharath

Reaction score
Credits
I had used all the time windows systems, but in the last year decided to move onto linux so started to install puppy linux on xp 32 bit system.

Does somebody tell me how to make usb boot disk using Android or xp system currently had this in working condition.

Or should I try on windows 7 from internet cafe??

System details
Pentium 4
1.7 ghz processor
2gb ram

Does somebody tell me how to make usb boot disk using Android or xp sy
On Windows [assuming 64 bit] use Ballina etcher, However 32 bit P4 machines were not normally USB bootable, and only came with a CD player [unless upgraded] If it has a working CD player I would use that to install a small 32 bit Linux.if it has a DVD player then any 32 bit linux will fit.

Regarding the DVD player , I recommend use k3b as driving application.

but i believe it is not working.
Then your options are diminishing, you can either look for a replacement second hand optical drive suitable for that machine, or beg/borrow/steal an external optical drive to use, or it may be easier to take the hard-drive out and use a USB to IDE/SATA [probably IDE] cable and use another computer to install the Linux to the old hard-drive [something like this...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multibao-Adapter-USB2-0-Converter-Cable/dp/B092LHZBMZ]

However 32 bit P4 machines were not normally USB bootable
I've heard this a lot in recent years. Our old Dell Inspiron was, though. Built in early 2002 - 32-bit 'NetBurst'-gen 2..2 GHz Celeron, later uprated to a 2.6 GHz P4 - it had the then recently-introduced USB 2.0 ports.......and Dell had gone out of their way to ensure they were bootable.

From what I'd heard elsewhere, it would be another 2-3 years before some manufacturers got around to installing these.

The OP's in for a tedious experience, though.......even with 'our Pup'. Which won't foster a good impression of Linux, because in this case the hardware will be the ENTIRE "bottleneck". The 1.7 GHz P4s were almost (though not quite) the slowest in the entire range. And P4s weren't what you'd call 'fast' at the best of times.....

Oh, it'll run. But it's not going to be very responsive.

Mike. o_O

Last edited:
Then your options are diminishing, you can either look for a replacement second hand optical drive suitable for that machine, or beg/borrow/steal an external optical drive to use, or it may be easier to take the hard-drive out and use a USB to IDE/SATA [probably IDE] cable and use another computer to install the Linux to the old hard-drive [something like this...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multibao-Adapter-USB2-0-Converter-Cable/dp/B092LHZBMZ]
Thanks so far, I have used to install xp using usb boot drive all the time. This is the first time trying to move for Linux.

I have seen YouTube installing from usb. Are they fake?

I have used to install xp using usb boot drive all the time
If you have used USB boot before, then you have one of the few machines of that age that were USB bootable,
I have seen YouTube installing from usb. Are they fake?
I would not say fake but you have to be careful with anything on U-tube when it comes to 3rd party instructional vidios, as often a step can be missing.

If you have used USB boot before, then you have one of the few machines of that age that were USB bootable,

I would not say fake but you have to be careful with anything on U-tube when it comes to 3rd party instructional vidios, as often a step can be missing.

Yes the machines are bootable with USB G31 motherboard. I have faced during those days too make bootable usb for xp since most of the boot softwares doesn't work.

Some videos showed Rufus work with linux and somewhere seen it doesn't support linux.

I tried on Android by using applications nothing worked.

Can you suggest me any app Or a program to make bootable usb??

Thanks for your help and hoping to run this machine.

Rufus has been a problem for Linux for the last few years, so most of us recommend Balena Etcher. The important thing is to select burn/write as a bootable ISO [wording can vary, as a bootable drive is another common one]

There are only a few 32 bit distributions still available, we expect 32 bit support to end during 2025

Some distros that will run [may be a bit slow] on your cpu [there are a few others

so beside a kennel full of Puppies....

Mint 32 bit LMDE
Peppermint re-spin 32 bit
Debian 32 bit with driver pack
MX Linux 32 bit
Antix
Open SUSE
Gentoo
Devuan
Void
Sparky

I am now understanding some basic things from you. I have thought to install puppy linux as some of the videos and blog posts suggested, however now thinking to try antix, but let me know which one should I try?

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=393278#top

I just want to use this pc for small things like arduino and internet browsing.

I do not recommend, I only suggest, you need to try a few different distributions "Live" to see which one you like the look and feel of and the one that installs best on your kit, AntiX is good, MX-32 bit is a bit more polished, based and on AntiX, Mint and Peppermint will probably look more like XP [but are a little heavier than AntiX] all of these [and some of the rest on my list] are all based on the last long term 32 bit Debian distro.

@bbharath :-

For what you want - basically Arduino and browsing - I wouldn't bother trying to install any distro to the internal drive. My suggestion would be to install a Puppy to a USB stick and to run it from there.

One of the biggest differences between a Puppy-on-a-stick and most other distros running from a stick is this; for the majority, this is not intended to be a permanent arrangement. It's meant to allow you to run the distro in 'Live' mode.....which lets you see if YOU like it, and if the distro likes your hardware & will "play nice" with it. You can make changes, install stuff, alter settings, etc.......but when you power-off, you lose it all. On the next boot, it's as though you never did anything to it.

Puppy, on the other hand, was always intended to live permanently on a USB stick. Puppy's "layering" file-system is pretty much unique, and was meant for the way flash memory functions.......living in RAM for the session, and only saving back to a special file on the flash drive periodically, every 30 minutes or so. Most other distros are constantly reading-from/writing-to the drive, and will quickly wear out NAND flash if run on a daily basis. Puppy's method will make NAND flash last a lot longer. It's not as critical as 20 years ago when Puppy first appeared; NAND was rather fragile in those days. Now, NAND flash is a lot more hard-wearing.....but every little still helps.

Getting your first Puppy up-and-running has, however, always been an 'issue' for us. Balena Etcher, mentioned by many people as the tool of choice, simply doesn't work with Puppy, due to that unique way of doing things. Balena always insists it can't "see" a drive set-up for Puppy.....and as mentioned by Brickwizard, Rufus has been problematic for Linux for quite a while now.

So; what we've always found to work for Puppy is UNetbootin. This used to be quite popular until it was overtaken by Etcher, since when you don't hear much about it any more. You can find UNetbootin here:-

https://unetbootin.github.io/linux_download.html

The best resource for doing this is the "Getting Started" section at the Puppy Forums, here:-

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=184

...and this post in particular:-

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5192

Mike. ;)

@bbharath :-

For what you want - basically Arduino and browsing - I wouldn't bother trying to install any distro to the internal drive. My suggestion would be to install a Puppy to a USB stick and to run it from there.

One of the biggest differences between a Puppy-on-a-stick and most other distros running from a stick is this; for the majority, this is not intended to be a permanent arrangement. It's meant to allow you to run the distro in 'Live' mode.....which lets you see if YOU like it, and if the distro likes your hardware & will "play nice" with it. You can make changes, install stuff, alter settings, etc.......but when you power-off, you lose it all. On the next boot, it's as though you never did anything to it.

Puppy, on the other hand, was always intended to live permanently on a USB stick. Puppy's "layering" file-system is pretty much unique, and was meant for the way flash memory functions.......living in RAM for the session, and only saving back to a special file on the flash drive periodically, every 30 minutes or so. Most other distros are constantly reading-from/writing-to the drive, and will quickly wear out NAND flash if run on a daily basis. Puppy's method will make NAND flash last a lot longer. It's not as critical as 20 years ago when Puppy first appeared; NAND was rather fragile in those days. Now, NAND flash is a lot more hard-wearing.....but every little still helps.

Getting your first Puppy up-and-running has, however, always been an 'issue' for us. Balena Etcher, mentioned by many people as the tool of choice, simply doesn't work with Puppy, due to that unique way of doing things. Balena always insists it can't "see" a drive set-up for Puppy.....and as mentioned by Brickwizard, Rufus has been problematic for Linux for quite a while now.

So; what we've always found to work for Puppy is UNetbootin. This used to be quite popular until it was overtaken by Etcher, since when you don't hear much about it any more. You can find UNetbootin here:-

https://unetbootin.github.io/linux_download.html

The best resource for doing this is the "Getting Started" section at the Puppy Forums, here:-

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=184

...and this post in particular:-

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5192

Mike. ;)
I have finally got rufus 2.18 boot working but here got a problem
Kernel not appropriate for your cpu.

I have searched this online but didn't get solution.
I am using bionic pup 32 version so i their any solution or should use any other version?

Staff online

Latest posts