Installed an OS in RESCUE mode and cannot boot to it

ability_cn

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys
I've got a VPS on OVH and I need to install a custom Debian ISO image.
Here are my steps so far.
  • Boot to recovery mode
  • deleted partitions on sdb
then I run the commands:
apt install qemu-kvm

wget -P /tmp https://URLTOISO.iso

qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::80-:80,hostfwd=tcp::443-:443 -m 1024M -enable-kvm -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -vnc 127.0.0.1:0 -cdrom /tmp/URLTOISO.iso -boot d

ssh root@SERVERIP -L 5900:localhost:5900

Once the installer has finished I reboot in to normal mode but It just says "booting from hard disk..." and it just stays here.
any help appreciated.

I installed the iso to sdb

1689250425607.png

1689250567404.png

If I install the ISO on a VM on my PC, the only difference I can see is that i get a GRUB loader then it boots.

I dont have a GRUB loader when I restart out of OVH RESCUE mode.

Last edited:

You need a boot loader, how else is your computer going to find the kernel.

Grub isn't the only one, there's lilo, & syslinux, (& probably others too), these are just ones that I've used in the past.

Reinstall your vps via the OVH panel because they should have an option to do a normal install or contact ovh support?

You need a boot loader, how else is your computer going to find the kernel.

Grub isn't the only one, there's lilo, & syslinux, (& probably others too), these are just ones that I've used in the past.

Hi

When I install Debian with the ISO, it does install all of that because it reboots a few times during installation.

Do you know how I can install GRUB and set it to boot from sdb1 as that is where my install is.

Maybe ask here?

TR
Maybe ask here?
This is the first rabbit hole I went down. I just need assistance in getting a bootloader going to see If i can get it to boot. the Installation is there.

Have you tried an iPXE type installation over the internet?

Here is a website with bootable installers for many distros. It is a working implementation of iPXE. I have tested them on virtual machines and VPSs, but never had an account on OVH. I have no way to prove that their wide range of installers are genuine, but they appear to be. Look at this website:

https://netboot.xyz

You will need "bare metal" access to your VPS, including a console. That would describe a typical KVM VPS. It will not work with OpenVZ or most actual VPSs with Xen.

If you do not understand this paragraph above, that's okay. Just get a KVM VPS that has a control panel with a console for you to use for installation. VPS providers who use SolusVM control panels usually offer a browser-based console, but I do not know what OVH has.

FYI: I am still learning and experimenting with iPXE-related technologies myself.

Hi

When I install Debian with the ISO, it does install all of that because it reboots a few times during installation.

Do you know how I can install GRUB and set it to boot from sdb1 as that is where my install is.
Normally, install it, then run
Code:
sudo grub install /dev/sdb

Members online

Latest posts