Installation options

Tarq

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings, I would like to arrange the boot options from easiest to most complicated

The boot options for the kernel are found here:

The order in which they may be arranged on the kernel boot line is often of no consequence.

There are however, many undocumented kernel options which pop up when researching particular cases. For example, I've found some video cards, intel, nvidia and amdgpu can respond to options that appear only after considerable research online but not found in major release notes, but rather in more obscure places like bug report discussions or in posts on discussion lists of various sorts.

Last edited:
I do not have a flash drive or any external media. What are my available options?

Normally by using https://unetbootin.github.io/ [but you may still need a usb/cd/dvd/flash card to install the unetboot application]
The aforementioned program not only allows booting via the flash drive, but even direct booting to the hard disk, but the problem is that it allocates the installation to the active partition, I mean the current one, as another partition has been allocated and does not give me access to it.

Hello Tarq,
I'm wondering if you can describe in more detail what the problem is, and how you think boot options might help so that readers can get a little clearer on the issue.

In relation to your comment in post #7:
the problem is that it allocates the installation to the active partition, I mean the current one, as another partition has been allocated and does not give me access to it.
It would be helpful if you could provide a view of your partitions with the output of the command:
Code:
lsblk
and perhaps describe what you mean by "does not give me access to".

Hello Tarq,
I'm wondering if you can describe in more detail what the problem is, and how you think boot options might help so that readers can get a little clearer on the issue.
My question is general: What are the options for booting the system in the Linux distributions I know of? This is done via a flash drive, CD, DVD, virtual disk, hard disk or network. Is there anything else, for example, a virtual flash drive?

In relation to your comment in post #7:

It would be helpful if you could provide a view of your partitions with the output of the command:
Code:
lsblk
Leave that until I select the distribution and raise the problems in its forum

and perhaps describe what you mean by "does not give me access to".
Forget the problems with the Unibooting program. I will try to access its forum in case I decide to proceed through it, as it is stuck. I meant that it does not allow customizing the installation on a specific partition in a hard disk, where the active partition appears, and I want to install side by side.

My question is general: What are the options for booting the system in the Linux distributions I know of? This is done via a flash drive, CD, DVD, virtual disk, hard disk or network. Is there anything else, for example, a virtual flash drive?
Thanks for clarifying what you meant by options.
You appear to have covered the main booting possibilities for modern computers. Here's a non-exhaustive summary:
Code:
MEDIUM      SYSTEMS
hard disk - installed linux
cd -------- live cd, install cd, rescue cd
dvd ------- live dvd, install dvd, rescue dvd
usb ------- live usb, install usb, rescue usb
network --- PXE boot
floppy ---- single boot/root floppy, boot and root floppies.

BOOTLOADERS:

lilo -----------  legacy bootloader good for smaller disks
grub -----------  boots most operating systems
systemd-boot----  systemd bootloader
rEFIt (redEFIt)-- open source bootloader for UEFI
syslinux ---------includes isolinux and PXElinux and boots most systems, especially usbs
I can't say anything about booting from virtual environments.

Members online

Latest posts