[info, Firefox] Disabling picture in picture

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
As probably some of you don't know, "Picture in picture" is a very annoying mode of browsers which works like this: you're watch a video on youtube or facebook, then you decide to scroll down to read comments and listen to the video. But the browser decides to pop-up the same video in a smaller size in the lower right corner. On some computers, usually older and slower, that mode causes systemwide stuttering, especially on Windows, which was the reason I hated this mode a few years ago when I first saw it. I never found a single extension to disable that stupid picture in picture mode but I finally found a way to disable it in Firefox, regardless of the OS.

1. Open about:config.
2. In the search field type (or just paste without the quotes) "media.videocontrols.picture-in-picture.respect-disablePictureInPicture" and double click it to set it to false (by default it's "true").

I know that if you read the full text of this option, it doesn't make any sense to be "false" and to work that way but it is a fact that setting it to "false" actually disables picture-in-picture mode.

Members online

Latest posts