Im stuck pls help

Roshan@p

Reaction score
Credits
On 27 feb 2022 i created a Linux mint bootable drive, live USB was running good on my Dell laptop, but I was trying to install it on the laptop with dual boot, but it was not happening on Monday then I created partition through windows 7 but that partition was not showing up in Linux mint installer so I formatted the partition through gparted and converted the space to ext4 through the live USB and when I booted to windows back after removing the USB drive the windows was not booting up and showing a blue screen with some codes on it for less than a fraction of a second and the next screen showed up was giving two options that start windows in normal mode or recover windows to previous state something like that so I boot the live USB again and converted the space back to ntfs and the windows booted up safely and normally but after booting up it showed a prompt that e drive is not ok and told me to format it so I formatted it and whoop all data lost then I installed a recovery software called photorec and my data was recovered successfully too then I successfully created partition for Linux mint and installed it successfully on the internal drive with giving boot partition 2gb storage root partition 30gb storage and home partition with 60 gb storage and I installed some themes some apps and used it properly on Tuesday .But when I wanted to boot to windows it showed that same blue screen with some codes that the drive is not functioning properly and the same recovery screen booted up again as of today I just uninstalled all the Linux partitions including grub menu partition through Linux mint live USB cuz I wanted my windows back cuz my mum's office apps where only compatible with windows and a paid vpn app was also there, but as I have deleted the partitions grub is showing rescue mode I tried some yt videos but it didn't worked, as of now I have 2 options that reinstall Linux mint back but I will not be able to boot windows back or use mint's live CD and take my data back from the windows's desktop through mounting the windows drive on mint but I can't solve my mum's office apps problem and I don't want to install the compatibility layer called wine. So pls help bring my windows to that state where I just pressed the laptop's power key and directly booted in windows without any errors. I'm a very dumb noob studying in school, I heard people praising Linux over windows but I didn't know that I'll fall in a big loop. So smart brothers and sisters son and daughter of hackers pls help me
My system specs: Dell Inspiron n5110
4gb ram
500gb hard drive (MBR) two primary partitions 110gb is windows system, I have formatted the other 363gb to unallocated space through gparted. I don't want to mess up with that 110gb drive but my 363gb drive is empty so i don't have tension about that drive
This laptop was set to dual boot Windows 7 alongside Linux mint but windows never booted in the past with dual boot
Based on bios a11
Problem now is grub is in rescue mode.
I have enough time until next lockdown of corona is declared here in India cuz if during lockdown this shitty laptop doesn't boots in windows then damn sure I will be in the news that I was killed by my mom. But my mom will surely beat me up today. Help ASAP

This Guide may be of help to you.
I would say the problem is that 2gb is no where near big enough for a linux / partition. Follow the steps in the above guide and all should be well. You may need to reinstall windows boot manager.

This Guide may be of help to you.
Hey friend pls read my thread carefully and I don't want a guide for dual boot installation I have already dual booted I just want to recover from my problem

Welcome to the forums,
firstly, as a newbie to Linux I would dissuade you from partitioning your hard drive yourself, but let the Mint Installer do it. [it would have saved this problem from occurring]. Did you allow the Mint installation to full complete and install grub? Can you boot Mint from the computer [not the usb] ? if you can then try from the terminal sudo update-grub , then re boot when it has finished

Welcome to the forums,
firstly, as a newbie to Linux I would dissuade you from partitioning your hard drive yourself, but let the Mint Installer do it. [it would have saved this problem from occurring]. Did you allow the Mint installation to full complete and install grub? Can you boot Mint from the computer [not the usb] ? if you can then try from the terminal sudo update-grub , then re boot when it has finished
Hey I have already partitioned the drive properly and as u are saying to update grub I don't need to do so much work as I can install Linux mint again and the grub will be installed with it. What I want is that I want to completely uninstall Linux and grub and boot windows 7 normally like android phone bootsup like starting with the windows logo and directly entering in windows login screen. As of now the problem is I've deleted the grub partition and now I can't boot in windows the leftover of the grub is coming in my way. So I want a confirmation that is the windows bootloader deleted? Or if the windows bootloader is present, but the grub opens before the windows bootloader so is there any way of bypassing that grub screen directly and entering in windows?

Do you have the windows 7 install media? If you do you can simply reinstall the or repair the windows boot sector. and It should boot to windows.

Worse case is you'll have to reinstall window completely.

Do you have the windows 7 install media? If you do you can simply reinstall the or repair the windows boot sector. and It should boot to windows.

Worse case is you'll have to reinstall window completely.
I don't have it and I can't get them from shops as most likely windows 7 is already outdated and the sellers here will not have the installation media but for a instance I can tell you that in live USB mode I can mount the windows partition in Linux mint and there one boot folder is present so do you know what can I do with that boot folder meaning if there is any exe of bootloader present over there then can you help me out

You can download a copy here.
If you can see the windows partition with live linux now would be a good time to back up any important files to USB stick or other off computer media.
Also as Brickwizard has already mentioned if you can boot to the live Mint version you can reinstall grub or do a grub-update and it should fix the problem of booting.

have you read my post at #7 it includes a link where you can download W7sp1 provided you have a licence number of the original installation

If you can see the windows partition with live linux now would be a good time to back up any important files to USB stick or other off computer media.
Sureim going to do that in a few days cuz I'm buying a new SD card I'll backup the data which I kept purposely on desktop of windows so that I can recover it later. What is the next step

Also as Brickwizard has already mentioned if you can boot to the live Mint version you can reinstall grub or do a grub-update and it should fix the problem of booting.
Hey friend according to this download link there are sp1 links given, my laptop runs on windows 7 professional and under my laptop the sticker shows that it runs windows 7 home premium which shall I download or they don't matter and just the recovery mode matters in them.

BTW I can enter recovery mode if I install Linux mint with grub in internal storage and then boot in windows through grub then there is one recovery option is available there.

Hey see installed Linux mint again with grub bootloader and then booted in windows recovery here are some photos and videos that I captured and maybe you can figure out how to enter windows and sorry for low quality of the photo and video my phone is very old

Attachments

• IMG_20220310_131658.png
    IMG_20220310_131658.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20220310_132650.png
    IMG_20220310_132650.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20220310_131803.png
    IMG_20220310_131803.png
    9.1 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20220310_131738.png
    IMG_20220310_131738.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20220310_131919.png
    IMG_20220310_131919.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20220310_131905.png
    IMG_20220310_131905.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 121
It appears to me that there is a problem with the windows file system of some sort and your only option maybe a complete re install of Windows. I'm not a windows expert though so maybe some one else here will have a better answer. But some how windows has become corrupt. Did you download the Windows 7 .iso? Sorry I can't be of more help.
You may want to ask on the Windows 7 forum found here:

It appears to me that there is a problem with the windows file system of some sort and your only option maybe a complete re install of Windows. I'm not a windows expert though so maybe some one else here will have a better answer. But some how windows has become corrupt. Did you download the Windows 7 .iso? Sorry I can't be of more help.
You may want to ask on the Windows 7 forum found here:
Hey friend my windows is not at all corrupt as soon as I make changes to the partition from secondary operating system Linux mint live USB the windows doesn't wants to accept that, the only problem is the grub, as soon as I uninstall grub I'm damn sure that windows will start to work again but I can't get a way that how shall I uninstall grub becuz if I delete grub partition then it goes in rescue mode I can enter windows recovery partition too from that windows error recovery screen I just need a way to uninstall grub safely

no guarantees as I do not use Microcrap on a regular basis, here is a fix I found that may work..
in windows...
  1. Run a cmd.exe process with administrator privileges
  2. Run diskpart
  3. Type: list disk then sel disk X where X is the drive your boot files reside on
  4. Type list vol to see all partitions (volumes) on the disk (the EFI volume will be formatted in FAT, others will be NTFS)
  5. Select the EFI volume by typing: sel vol Y where Y is the SYSTEM volume (this is almost always the EFI partition)
  6. For convenience, assign a drive letter by typing: assign letter=Z: where Z is a free (unused) drive letter
  7. Type exit to leave disk part
  8. While still in the cmd prompt, type: Z: and hit enter, where Z was the drive letter you just created.
  9. Type dir to list directories on this mounted EFI partition
  10. If you are in the right place, you should see a directory called EFI
  11. Type cd EFI and then dir to list the child directories inside EFI
  12. Type rmdir /S ubuntu to delete the ubuntu boot directory
Assuming you only ever had two operating systems (Win 10 & Ubuntu) you should now be able to boot directly to Windows without hitting the black grub screen.

Sure sir I'll try that but my laptop is bios not efi but I'll try that becuz in Linux i mounted the windows partition and there was a boot folder in that one efi file was there so I'll try your idea but I'm pausing myself cuz as of now I don't have any other storage device to store my windows data I'll buy two pendrive on Sunday backup my data and install a windows 7 iso on that incase my windows goes corrupt and thanks for you both that you are helping me out so much
no guarantees as I do not use Microcrap on a regular basis, here is a fix I found that may work..
in windows...
  1. Run a cmd.exe process with administrator privileges
  2. Run diskpart
  3. Type: list disk then sel disk X where X is the drive your boot files reside on
  4. Type list vol to see all partitions (volumes) on the disk (the EFI volume will be formatted in FAT, others will be NTFS)
  5. Select the EFI volume by typing: sel vol Y where Y is the SYSTEM volume (this is almost always the EFI partition)
  6. For convenience, assign a drive letter by typing: assign letter=Z: where Z is a free (unused) drive letter
  7. Type exit to leave disk part
  8. While still in the cmd prompt, type: Z: and hit enter, where Z was the drive letter you just created.
  9. Type dir to list directories on this mounted EFI partition
  10. If you are in the right place, you should see a directory called EFI
  11. Type cd EFI and then dir to list the child directories inside EFI
  12. Type rmdir /S ubuntu to delete the ubuntu boot directory
Assuming you only ever had two operating systems (Win 10 & Ubuntu) you should now be able to boot directly to Windows without hitting the black grub screen

Members online

Latest posts