I only want to install Linux on my laptop. I have formatted the windows

Welcome to the forums
you did not need to format the old windows hard-drive most builds of Linux would have done that for you, as Linux uses a different file system
make sure [if your machine had win8.1 or newer] you disable windows quick-start [fast-boot] and secure boot in the BIOS and re-start the computer before you install your chosen distribution.

A little food for thought. I made the mistake of formatting a windows drive. Big mistake, you need to leave windows alone and let Linux take care of it. When you format the windows you destroy all of the dos info needed by Linux. to fix my problem i reloaded windows and then put Linux on. See @Brickwizard nuber #2 comment above you did not need to format the old windows hard-drive most builds of Linux would have done that for you, as Linux uses a different file system.

@SadikCapito8880

Pay attention

Keep your approach to this as simple as possible.

When you 'mounted' the Linux on a pen drive....did you just copy and paste it?....or did you use an app (balena etcher, rufus etc) to do it with ?

Download an .iso of your chosen distro, preferably check its MD5sum/SHA256, then 'image write' it to the pendrive, boot from USB pendrive, follow the instructions of installer, reboot, & you should now be using Linux. :)

A little food for thought. I made the mistake of formatting a windows drive. Big mistake, you need to leave windows alone and let Linux take care of it. When you format the windows you destroy all of the dos info needed by Linux. to fix my problem i reloaded windows and then put Linux on. See @Brickwizard nuber #2 comment above you did not need to format the old windows hard-drive most builds of Linux would have done that for you, as Linux uses a different file system.
That couldn't be less true. Linux does not need anything from Windows at all. If you did all that what happened was you made many steps that you did not need to. Linux will install on a totally empty drive without issue. In fact an install of windows on the drive can hinder linux install if not done right. If you wanted to install linux and get rid of windows you would just delete the windows partitioning and let linux do its thing. If you wanted dual boot there are several ways of doing it.

So keep in mind that linux does not need anything from windows. and in the world of linux try to keep it simple as that usually works. Most important, keep your goal in mind and make sure you set one before you start.
Linux is quite easy once set up.

That couldn't be less true. Linux does not need anything from Windows at all.
Amen to that ! I totally agree.

Members online