I finally did it. Windows in the trash!

Scratches Head.

Please explain exactly what you mean by this statement.
"welcome to that small percentage of global computer users who have FULL control over their hardware......"

I have a Windows 10 desktop and have complete control over everything that happens on it before it happens.
Nothing is installed or happens or is done unless I initiate it manually.
Do you really have control? Is Windows 10 open source? I had nothing but one situation after another when I was on Windows 10. I was reluctant to try anything else because I had used Microsoft for so long. Being totally frustrated I bit the bullet and installed Linux Mint on a old Acer computer with only 2 gigs of ram. I now have a Dell computer with 8 GB ram and Linux Mint is on it. I will never go back to any Microsoft program.
Always,
Wildman

Do you really have control?
Yes although it requires changing a few settings through command prompt.
The how to can be found on certain websites none of which will be a Microsoft website.
You also have to download updates from the Microsoft catalog and install them manually.

Is Windows 10 open source?
No Windows is not open source.
Don't know why anyone would think Windows is open source.

I had nothing but one situation after another when I was on Windows 10.
Never had any of the problems or nightmares with any Windows OSs like everyone seems to have or all of the horror stories you read about online.

I will never go back to any Microsoft program.
I'll use any OS as long as I don't have to pay for it or buy a new computer to use it.

Finally got the Wife to use Linux and she seems to be okay with it although misses her Windows OS so may be a Windows 11 computer or Apple computer in the future only time will tell.

I've never gotten into all of the politics about Microsoft as most of the Linux users seem to be into as I just never cared.

Only reason I use Linux is I was bored back in 2014 and gave Linux a try and started using it as I never had any issues with using Windows OSs.

I'm in my 70s and life is to short to be concerned about what OS I'm using as I just don't care anymore.

No one forces anyone to use Windows or Apple or Linux or Chromebook or Android it's a decision made by the user.

The important thing is to learn the OS you use so that you can have complete control of your computer.

Congratulations!
1715572561790.png

I also am in my late 70's. I have been associated with computers since the late 1970's. Part of my job with the U.S.A.F. was as a military personnel systems manager. I first got associated with DOS and Windows1. I will admit I do not know much about the Microsoft systems of today. I know that open source can be seen by every one where as closed source is as the name suggest closed. For me Linux is a much safer system.
Always,
Wildman

@Freepoorman
Congrats on dumping Windows, make sure nostalgia for Windows doesn't make you change your mind.
I had nostalgia for the first 2 weeks or so, I believe every Windows convert suffers from same problem after switch.

But after some time you realize Linux is the best, you just start to love it.

@Freepoorman
Congrats on dumping Windows, make sure nostalgia for Windows doesn't make you change your mind.
I had nostalgia for the first 2 weeks or so, I believe every Windows convert suffers from same problem after switch.

But after some time you realize Linux is the best, you just start to love it.
Thanks, I did have that for a while when I was still on VMs, I tried to stay purely on Linux but because of performance issues sharing my ram across 2 OSs I found myself going back to Windows. Now that I am running Linux natively my computer is at least twice as fast as when it was when I was running Windows.. Honestly the only thing I miss about Windows are my games, and when I think about how much time was wasted playing games when I could have been programming, I feel like it is way overdue that I leave it all behind. I'm super happy with my system, even though I still have a few adjustments that still need to be made... (I miss how windows was better at staying connected to weak wifi signals, but I'm sure I will find a way to fix that aswell)

Honestly the only thing I miss about Windows are my games, and when I think about how much time was wasted playing games when I could have been programming, I feel like it is way overdue that I leave it all behind.
lol no, you don't miss any games, 90% of Windows games run on Linux just fine.
That was my main obstacle not to switch to Linux but things have changed, you can run Windows games in Lutris. (not all but most of them) some require adjusting settings, only few of them don't work at all.

Yes although it requires changing a few settings through command prompt.
The how to can be found on certain websites none of which will be a Microsoft website.
You also have to download updates from the Microsoft catalog and install them manually.

No Windows is not open source.
Don't know why anyone would think Windows is open source.

Never had any of the problems or nightmares with any Windows OSs like everyone seems to have or all of the horror stories you read about online.

I'll use any OS as long as I don't have to pay for it or buy a new computer to use it.

Finally got the Wife to use Linux and she seems to be okay with it although misses her Windows OS so may be a Windows 11 computer or Apple computer in the future only time will tell.

I've never gotten into all of the politics about Microsoft as most of the Linux users seem to be into as I just never cared.

Only reason I use Linux is I was bored back in 2014 and gave Linux a try and started using it as I never had any issues with using Windows OSs.

I'm in my 70s and life is to short to be concerned about what OS I'm using as I just don't care anymore.

No one forces anyone to use Windows or Apple or Linux or Chromebook or Android it's a decision made by the user.

The important thing is to learn the OS you use so that you can have complete control of your computer.

I think Windows would be ok if you run a good debloater like Raphire's one, and have at least 16Gb Ram on a quad core CPU. Just remember that with almost every copy of windows that has existed up to Windows 7 there has been revealed to be "unintentional" back doors built in... So by Linux being open-source we have full control over our privacy whereas Windows is a gamble at best.

I think Windows would be ok if you run a good debloater like Raphire's one, and have at least 16Gb Ram on a quad core CPU. Just remember that with almost every copy of windows that has existed up to Windows 7 there has been revealed to be "unintentional" back doors built in... So by Linux being open-source we have full control over our privacy whereas Windows is a gamble at best.

The secret Backdoor "unintentional" yeah right and who said it ended with windoze 7.
1715660312354.gif

So by Linux being open-source we have full control over our privacy whereas Windows is a gamble at best.
Don't kid yourself between the OSs and the browsers and search engines which all go to Google.
Wherever and whoever you visit.
Whether you use Windows or not.
When you visit your doctor or bank.
No matter how secure and private you think you are your personal information is collected and sold.
Ain't no such thing as privacy nowadays.

Don't kid yourself between the OSs and the browsers and search engines which all go to Google.
Wherever and whoever you visit.
Whether you use Windows or not.
When you visit your doctor or bank.
No matter how secure and private you think you are your personal information is collected and sold.
Ain't no such thing as privacy nowadays.
True, but we can make them work for it at least

I agree and please don't take me the wrong way.

I've seen to many businesses just to laxed on their computer security for client information.

It is in their computers and their data base and should be protected and is not secure and to me that's scary.

To many businesses we use are being compromised nowadays and no longer just the home user base.

Yeah, some people actually use Linux AND Windows.
I'll use Windows if I have to as it does allow access to some websites that Linux won't let me log in to.

I have found that Google Chrome on Linux will allow me to access some websites that I use to only be able to login to using Windows.

I'll use Windows if I have to as it does allow access to some websites that Linux won't let me log in to.

I have found that Google Chrome on Linux will allow me to access some websites that I use to only be able to login to using Windows.
I am doing an online programming course. On windows I used to be able to use VSCode to do my assignments in (using codespaces extension), sadly on Linux there is no support for VScodium (I can't even find the extension), so now I have to do my assignments in my browser... That is the only compatibility problem I've run into without being able to find a solution to

But you could just try the same with different browsers on the same OS. Most of the times, some browsers have options disabled by default or such, and the other browser has the comparable option just working. And it works in all directions. There will NEVER be a browser that can do it all, technically impossible.

To many places and things here lately seem to be or have already become Windows only accessible.

Staff online

Members online