I cannot open most applications

eoghan

Reaction score
Credits
I cannot open most applications, for example the Skype application. It says 'file type ApplImage application bundle is not supported'. What's the story? Sorry - I'm not a techie.......

G'day eoghan, Welcome to Linux.org

Some detail would be nice

Make and model of pc

Which Linux?....version?....how are you installing these apps? What steps have you taken to rectify this problem?...etc

Detail please.

ps You could edit your title....it is missing the word "OPEN"

oops - non techies must be so annoying. Eh - not sure what kind of Linux. Trisquel Mate? how do i find out?

NAME="Trisquel GNU/Linux"
VERSION="9.0, Etiona"
ID=trisquel
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Trisquel GNU/Linux Etiona (9.0)"

Go to where you have downloaded the appimage and right click on it select properties then the permissions tab make sure the box allow executing file as a program is checked.
then try again.

Hi kc1di

Thanks for your help! I've got one step further but it says 'cannot download all required files. Make sure APT cache is up to date. I've put 'how to update APT cache into the search but nothing helps .....Any ideas? (I love my Linux - a friend installed it but he's mad busy with family and stuff- but iLinuxes can be tricky at times)

Trisquel is based on Ubuntu, did you install Skype for linux from the Ubuntu repository, [it should have installed all the necessary dependencies ]

Hi Brickwizard

the options in Skype say Linux SNAP, RPM and DEB???!!!

open menu, go to software manage, type in the search box Skype, it should find the ubuntu linux version that you can install, [if it dose you will have to remove your existing download]

You should find a file skypeforlinux install that and you should be set to go
You can install it from a terminal also by issuing these commnands.
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install skypeforlinux

If you where to down load from the skype web page you would want the .deb file. But that method is not recommended.
Although the appimage should have worked.
good luck.

Trisquel is on the list of the Free GNU/Linux distributions on GNU.org which means it doesn't have any propietary software in the repositories so you aren't going to be able to install Skype through the software manager and neither through apt because Skype isn't free software as in the GNU definition of free.

I didn't think of that
tLwIDWGqBQeFucjlKiPi.gif

Thanks for the clarification f33dm3bits.
So he would have to download the .deb file and attempt to install that file. But I think what he will run into is dependency problems. It may be the op will have to consider changing distros. Or determine how important Skype is to his needs.

Thanks for the clarification f33dm3bits.
So he would have to download the .deb file and attempt to install that file. But I think what he will run into is dependency problems. It may be the op will have to consider changing distros. Or determine how important Skype is to his needs.
Yes so something like.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i skypeforlinux-64.deb
Looks like the only dependency is libatomic1 which is in the Debian repositories so there might be a chance that the same library is in the Trisque repositories. Although I find it strange that the AppImage won't run on Trisque, I have no experience with those only thing I can think of maybe forgot to make it executable?

That is why I gave the op the info on how to make it executable above. Most appimages are self contained and need no other dependencies but I have see a few that used already install libs on the system I'v never tried skype's appimage so don't know.

Last edited:
I downloaded the appimage from here
and On my mint 20.2 install once given permission it launches and runs fine. So not sure where you got your appimage from but try it from the web page I've posted. Give it permission to run as I've posted above and it should work for you.

Another question for eoghan, You said in your original post that many programs would not launch. Which other programs have you tried? Were they also appimages?

Last edited:

Staff online