I cannot get the complete serial number of the RAM of the computer.

mike26x

Reaction score
Credits
Hi team,

I am currently trying to work on an automation script and one of the steps is to obtain the RAM serial number, however, only part of the memory serial number is obtained. (Generally the last 8 digits or so).

We tried to use the following command: "dmidecode --type 17 | grep Serial" without the quotes.

As I mentioned, it only shows me a part of the serial number and currently it is necessary to capture the complete serial number.

If anyone knows a way to obtain the complete serial number of the RAMs, either using the native Linux commands or even using an external compiler, please let me know that it would be very helpful.

Greetings,

Maybe 8 characters is all that is available? Even a Windows example only provides 8 characters too. I can't find anything that says there is more.

The code below gives the 8-character serial numbers, but also adds other information (manufacturer code and part number)... if those might help you to be sure the serial numbers captured are unique (if that is your aim).
Code:
sudo inxi -mxxx

You may have to install inxi.

sudo dmidecode -t memory

I would go to the manufacturer's website. Use the information you have to find your stick(s) in "support".

A lot of times I've seen extra characters for the specific hardware I'm checking on.

Members online