i am not able to verify my linux mint download

Reaction score
Credits
I have downloaded mint20.3 cinnamon iso and the site says verify your download, but the instruction there are not clear for me, I watched a video on youtube that shows version 19 which is diff, pls help me to verify.

Integrity Check:
1. Download this file: wget https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/20.3/sha256sum.txt
2. Run this command against your iso file: sha256sum -b linuxmint-20.3-mate-64bit.iso
3. Compare to your Mint version if matches.

Authenticity check:
1. Download the gpg file: wget https://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/linuxmint.com/stable/20.3/sha256sum.txt.gpg
2. Import the Mint signing key: gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
3. Verify the file of the sha256sum.txt file: gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt

That's it, the same instructions as on the Mint website that explains it.

sir how to do this, i am not so good in tech , so sorry for my silly question
You open a terminal by clicking in your menu and searching for it there then you copy and then post the command in your terminal. Although since you are using Cinnamon it should be this.
Code:
sha256sum -b linuxmint-20.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso

You open a terminal by clicking in your menu and searching for it there then you copy and then post the command in your terminal. Although since you are using Cinnamon it should be th is.
Code:
sha256sum -b linuxmint-20.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso
i am currently using window 11 , i had just downloaded that iso file of mint

In Windows you have to use the certUtil

Code:
C:\> certUtil -hashfile C:\file.iso SHA256

or if you have 7-Zip installed in Windows you can use that to get the hash file by clicking on CRC SHA then select SHA256
Screenshot from 2022-07-05 16-10-31.png

i am currently using window 11 , i had just downloaded that iso file of mint
Open a Windows Powershell and:
  1. Move to the Downloads folder with cd Downloads (replace Downloads with whatever the name is in your Windows installation's language).
  2. Run Get-FileHash linuxmint-20.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso, as the defaults are the SHA-256 which, I believe, it's what you need.
  3. Compare with the value Mint provides.
Aside from the file I am using, which is not the linux mint images as I won't just download 2 GB to provide an example, the output should look like the following but with the right file and values
Screenshot from 2022-07-06 10-13-09.png

Last edited:
from the link below....

"" The torrent process will check the md5sum automatically and it is often but not always faster than downloading the iso file directly. ""

In other words, if you download the iso via a torrent, there is no need to check the md5sum....it is done for you via the torrent process.

Open a Windows Powershell and:
  1. Move to the Downloads folder with cd Downloads (replace Downloads with whatever the name is in your Windows installation's language).
  2. Run Get-FileHash linuxmint-20.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso, as the defaults are the SHA-256 which, I believe, it's what you need.
  3. Compare with the value Mint provides.
Aside from the file I am using, which is not the linux mint images as I won't just download 2 GB to provide an example, the output should look like the following but with the right file and values
View attachment 13084
thank you it worked

If you had bothered to read the link I Googled for you that on the Linux Mint forum they had explained it step by step there as well.

yes sir i read that . but this method was easy for me
It can't be easier because it's the same as what @Lord Boltar wrote out and the same as @gvisoc wrote out, except for the latter one used powershell. If you are going to want to learn how something works you are going to have to learn how to read and how to use Google. Not everyone is going rewrite what has already been explained many times elsewhere on the web. You don't learn anything by someone rewriting it out for you, learning is searching for something whether a howto, tutorial or documentation, then trying to figure out what they mean and then trying to apply or use it. Then whether you succeed, halfway-succeed or fail to apply it you lean from the experience and then continue from there again and repeat. If you have tried to apply something and can't get any further, then you can post on a forum and share what you have tried so far and what problems you ran into. Learning is not being lazy.

Last edited:
@Sarthak Patial I'm glad it worked, but it's true that you need to make the effort on learning to fish instead of just asking for fish. There will be a huge amount of questions that will arise as soon as you begin to use Linux, so the sooner you get the learning attitude, the better your experience will be.

In addition to @f33dm3bits say, and as a bit of a shameless plug (as it was written by me), there's also a thread in this very forum that explains what are you doing behind those operations. Things like this are why there's always the recommendation (a rule in many forums, as a matter of fact) of using the search box before asking -- because probably it was already asked, or existing.

Once you'd understand what you are doing and why, what is left is just to use your search engine to find equivalent commands for Windows, Mac, BSD or whatever you'd be using in the future.

I've no idea how to do it in windwoes (don't use it) but it's so easy to do it in Linux now than it was about a year ago.
happy0009.gif

Download your Linux Distro (any Distro) right click it and click Check SHA256 and it's done for you...simple.
happy0034.gif

Last edited:

Members online