HP 14dq2xxx reboot to back screen?

FishOn!

Reaction score
Credits
Good morning,

I have been fighting with an issue for several months in regards to a reboot issue on my HP 14-dq2xxx laptop currently with Debian 12. This was an upgrade from Debian 11 where I had this issue.

“My laptop boots to a black screen with cursor in starting position after a reboot. However does not do this when system is shut down. ”

The difference here is that an actual shut down and immediate power up does not manifest this issue and goes straight into my desktop. Several tests repeated over a 5 minute period do not produce issues.

When I perform a reboot and just after encryption entry screen has accepted my password, Alt+control+f2 does produce a kernel login screen which tells me that /boot is mounted and it is this systems desktop environment that is a problem. I also had a wifi issue but last night I installed a new driver and giving that some time to call that remediated. I don’t believe that is causing issues.

Would you all agree? What diagnostic commands can I issue to have you all help assist me with this issue?

Thank you in advance.

*I am a software engineer with several years experience in windows server operating systems, but my Linux experience is very rusty. Having to stand up my own systems to use and retrain myself to keep up my skills.

I can't tell you "why" or if you found a fix. However, I'm running Mint and about 1 in 10 reboots brings me to that same black screen with the curser blinking in the upper left corner. It is annoying.

I can't tell you "why" or if you found a fix. However, I'm running Mint and about 1 in 10 reboots brings me to that same black screen with the curser blinking in the upper left corner. It is annoying.
I agree, it is an annoying issue. I did have another question in my original post however. As being someone who replied to my thread, do you have anything that you have done thus far to try and diagnose this issue? Any lessons learned?

Have either of you tried a BIOS PURGE ?

Disconnect the power lead at the laptop and any USB peripherals, save any work, press and hold power button down for 60 seconds, release and re-boot

Have either of you tried a BIOS PURGE ?

Disconnect the power lead at the laptop and any USB peripherals, save any work, press and hold power button down for 60 seconds, release and re-boot
My PC is a laptop with a bloody internal battery. HP 14-DQ2XXX. how can that be done with a laptop without unscrewing and removing the battery?

You do not have to remove the battery, with modern laptops [under 10 yrs ] by holding the on button down for 60 seconds should automatically bypass the battery

I agree, it is an annoying issue. I did have another question in my original post however. As being someone who replied to my thread, do you have anything that you have done thus far to try and diagnose this issue? Any lessons learned?
So far, in my rather short journey, I haven't been interested enough to pursue the cause. It's annoying. But not enough that I am going to drop everything and look in to it.

So far, in my rather short journey, I haven't been interested enough to pursue the cause. It's annoying. But not enough that I am going to drop everything and look in to it.
That is a very justified answer and i respect that!

No dice. The boot screen is stuck on

Starting networking.service

This is new. I am going to let it sit and see what happens
It looks like the screen is stuck but console is updating, just very slow.

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
Now after that amount of time I am where I was before. Stuck on that black screen.

Members online