How to's regarding Fedora

shadrach

Reaction score
Credits
I'm still very, very new to Linux so please explain what to do step by step if possible. I have an Acer 5 Aspire running Windows 10 and Fedora 33 with a grub at boot. Currently, the grub shows three Fedora OS versions, windows, then setup system. Three questions:

1) How do I limit the number of Fedora OS's listed after it updates. I ran the command, "rpm -qa kernel\* |sort -V" and got the following results:
[davidb@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa kernel\* |sort -V
kernel-5.11.14-200.fc33.x86_64
kernel-5.11.15-200.fc33.x86_64
kernel-core-5.11.14-200.fc33.x86_64
kernel-core-5.11.15-200.fc33.x86_64
kernel-headers-5.11.14-200.fc33.x86_64
kernel-modules-5.11.14-200.fc33.x86_64
kernel-modules-5.11.15-200.fc33.x86_64
kernel-modules-extra-5.11.14-200.fc33.x86_64
kernel-modules-extra-5.11.15-200.fc33.x86_64
[davidb@localhost ~]$

2) I'm running Fedora Gnome. How do I load Fedora KDE desktop to replace the Gnome Desktop? I have the Fedora KDE version downloaded, "Fedora-KDE-Live-x86_64-33-1.2.iso"

3) How do I change the grub default from Fedora to Windows? Once I get more used to Fedora, I might want to change the default back to Fedora. Until then, I need my laptop to boot into Windows without me standing by the computer and selecting Windows to boot into.
Regarding question 3, I have found some instructions to run in the terminal window. Like, "vi /etc/default/grub" Then to edit the "Grub_Default=saved" to "Grub_Default=3" which is where the Windows entry is located in the grub - starting with 0-Fedora, 1-Fedora, 2-Fedora, 3-Windows, 4-Setup System. After running the vi... command line I see the line, "Grub_Default=saved", but I don't know how to change 'saved' to '3'. In fact, I don't know how to do anything from that window, nothing works and I can't get out of the screen that shows
RUB_TIMEOUT=15
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet"
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true
I've 'Googled' all these and, well, it's very confusing. Too many entries either contradicting each other, or not explaining steps for those of us who are new to Linux.
Thanks in advance for your help. Please advise what other information you need.

One thing at a time here.
1. Redhat (Fedora) lists multiple versions on purpose. So if the latest version doesn't work, you can always boot from the previous version. Disabling this is usually a bad idea. Some other versions of Linux don't have this. This is actually one of the best features of Fedora in my opinion.

2. To load a different desktop environment.
dnf group list

It will list about 40 things here, but the ones you are interested in are here...
KDE Plasma Workspaces
Xfce Desktop
LXDE Desktop
LXQt Desktop
Cinnamon Desktop
MATE Desktop
Sugar Desktop Environment
Deepin Desktop

To install one... dnf group install "KDE Plasma Workspaces" -y
Because there are spaces in the group name, you'll have to put it in quotes.
You can have as many desktop environment as you want.
After it is installed, you'll have to tell your login screen which one to use.

1619274362229.png

It'll look similar to this. You only have to do this the first time you use that environment, it'll remember after that. (Until you switch to a different desktop).

Last edited:
In your grub list, it seems that Windows is option 3. (The numbering starts at 0)
So to change this to the default...

grub2-set-default 3

This will take a minute or two. You'll have to reboot when it's finished.

Thank you for your simple instructions. I installed both the KDE Plasma and Cinnamon desktops. However, I'm not getting the option to change desktops. I opened a terminal and ran the 'dnf group list' command with, in part, this result.
Installed Environment Groups:
KDE Plasma Workspaces
Cinnamon Desktop
How do I get the desktop change option?

Going back to my first question regarding the number of Fedora versions. Each time Fedora updates it adds another boot option to the grub. From your statement, this is a good thing. However, when is too many, too many? Do you recommend limiting the number of versions on ones computer?

It shouldn't continue to add new Versions. The default limit is 3. The "old" versions will auto delete themselves after the 3rd update.

You don't change which desktop to use from the command line.
You do it from the login screen.

I don't have KDE installed, so it isn't in my list. But there should be
a little "button" after your login name. Click on it.

Attachments

• 20210425_052529.jpg
    20210425_052529.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 238
  • 20210425_052548.jpg
    20210425_052548.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 269
Last edited:
I'm not getting that look at login. I'm still in the Gnome desktop. What am I missing? The first attachment is my login screen, the second attachment is the result of the "sudo dnf group list" command. I installed "swithdesk" and "switchdesk kde", still nothing, the same login screen and desktop (Gnome).
Screenshot from 2021-04-25 13-10-09.png
Screenshot from 2021-04-25 13-18-28.png

In your first picture above, I see the little "Gnome Eye" inside your authentication window.
Click on that.

I figured it out. Rather than performing a restart, which did not give me the option to change desktops, I logged out. When I logged back in, before typing my password, I had the settings 'Gear' in the lower right corner of the screen. This allowed me to select a different desktop. Then I typed my password and away I went. Thank you for your help on my other questions.