How to upgrade to Mint 21

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
Clem has released the upgrade instructions for those wishing to upgrade their version of Mint to version 21.
If your running Version 20.3 go Here.
If an older version of Mint go here:
My personal preference is to do a complete fresh install of a new major version. But to each their own.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has updated to LM21....either via the Update Manager, or via a Fresh Install.

Moving this to Mint subforum, Dave :)

Wiz

You could start a Thread in Mint subforum, Brian, now what would you call it?

Interested to hear from anyone who has updated to LM21....either via the Update Manager, or via a Fresh Install?

:)

roger that.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has updated to LM21....either via the Update Manager, or via a Fresh Install.
Did a fresh install when it became Beta and have been updating ever since. All here has been working fine Stable and just works.
I Highly recommend this version. I've been using it on a Lenovo Thinkpad t450 without problems. I don't do gaming just ordinary stuff like word processing some audio and video stuff. surfing and such.

Avoid the following kernel update...it returns an error once installed.......wait for the 'fix'...it will come along shortly

1660093430139.png

Avoid the following kernel update...it returns an error once installed.......wait for the 'fix'...it will come along shortly

View attachment 13308
Just upgraded to the 5.15.0-46 kernel , No problems here everything works so not sure what the error was but my machine likes it.

The error was cleaned up around 3 hours after its initial release

I updated using the update manager on a Lenovo T430. After update, the update manager would never change from "checking updates". Gnucash would not allow any preferences to be modified. Example; adding horizontal lines. I use Libreoffice Calc heavily and scrolling was very erratic. I restored to 20.3 without issues.

@N9JC, my commiserations. It is indeed a right royal pain when things don't go as planned.

My eventual course of action, after encountering all sorts of dramas, was to do a clean/fresh install.

I have a pet hate. It relates to setting up everything again after a fresh install....browser, vpn, etc etc all the hundreds of small changes/preferences/tweaks add infinitum

However, it was either go through all the setting up again or restore to 20.3 which ran perfectly. I had a full clone of 20.3 saved to an external hard drive which was restorable. I created that via the Disks app, and the external was formatted to ext4.

I accepted the challenge to do a fresh install, and am so glad I did.

Running LM21....pure joy.

I even adjusted my 'mindset' re doing set ups....I rather enjoyed the process this time ! The 'hard work' became a pleasure because the result was worthwhile.

I always do a clean install...I only ever did an upgrade once...Mint Cinnamon 18.2 to 18.3 and things wouldn't work...so never again.
t3603.gif

Members online