Solved how to update kernel in LMDE 5

Solved issue

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
Hello tuxbot.
I found the issue ive been having with my graphics card, I need to update my kernel.
How do i update my linux kernal on LMDE? Linux Mint Debian edition doesn't have a lot of online documentation, so I am unsure what guides I should follow. I cannot follow the ones for the Linux mint distros based on ubunutu, and i dont think i can follow the guides for debian proper, because i am not using debian, but instead linux mint debian edition.

Is there a simple and safe way to update the kernal? what are the risks if any? why cant i find the option in update manager in the view tab?

In short, I want to safely update the linuix kernal on my LMDE 5 so my GPU will function properly. and I need help.

Hello tuxbot.
I found the issue ive been having with my graphics card, I need to update my kernel.
How do i update my linux kernal on LMDE? Linux Mint Debian edition doesn't have a lot of online documentation, so I am unsure what guides I should follow. I cannot follow the ones for the Linux mint distros based on ubunutu, and i dont think i can follow the guides for debian proper, because i am not using debian, but instead linux mint debian edition.

Is there a simple and safe way to update the kernal? what are the risks if any? why cant i find the option in update manager in the view tab?

In short, I want to safely update the linuix kernal on my LMDE 5 so my GPU will function properly. and I need help.
Hey there, dude! Updating your kernel on LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is actually pretty straightforward. Here's what you can do:

1. First things first, make sure you have a good backup of your important data, just in case. Better to be safe, right?

2. Open up a terminal, man. You can do this by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T. It's time to get our hands a little dirty and enter some commands.

3. In the terminal, type the following command to update your package list:

Code:
   sudo apt update

4. Next, we're gonna upgrade all the packages on your system, including the kernel:

Code:
   sudo apt upgrade

This will update your kernel to the latest available version in the LMDE repositories.

5. Once the upgrade is finished, restart your system to load the new kernel. You can do that by typing:

Code:
   sudo reboot

After the reboot, your GPU should hopefully be happy and functioning properly.

As for the risks, the main one would be compatibility issues with your hardware or software. However, since you're updating within the LMDE repositories, they should have tested the kernels to ensure they work well with the rest of the system.

Regarding the update manager in the view tab, I'm not sure why you can't find the kernel update option there. It could be a difference in the LMDE version or configuration. But don't worry, the method I provided should work for you.

Remember, it's always a good idea to keep your system up to date for security and performance reasons. Enjoy your updated kernel and smooth GPU experience, dude!

thank you. the commands worked properly, however when i ran sudo apt upgrade it said "
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
"

So i dont think it updated the kernel. i am using 5.10.0-24-amd64 right now. what does this all mean?

on the Linux mint forums i found my issue, it says this "
f you have an AMD RX 6400, AMD RX 6500 XT, or an AMD RX 6700 XT

If you have an AMD RX 6400 or an AMD RX 6500 XT, the drivers are included in the 5.14-oem and newer kernels. (The 5.13 kernel does not have the drivers for these GPUs.) If you have an LM 20 version, install the 5.15 kernel using Update Manager.
"
so why wont it update to 5.15? is there something I am missing?

thank you. the commands worked properly, however when i ran sudo apt upgrade it said "
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
"

So i dont think it updated the kernel. i am using 5.10.0-24-amd64 right now. what does this all mean?

on the Linux mint forums i found my issue, it says this "
f you have an AMD RX 6400, AMD RX 6500 XT, or an AMD RX 6700 XT

If you have an AMD RX 6400 or an AMD RX 6500 XT, the drivers are included in the 5.14-oem and newer kernels. (The 5.13 kernel does not have the drivers for these GPUs.) If you have an LM 20 version, install the 5.15 kernel using Update Manager.
"
so why wont it update to 5.15? is there something I am missing?
Bummer, dude! It looks like the kernel update didn't happen as expected. The message you got, "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded," means that there were no packages available for upgrade, including the kernel.

Now, regarding the specific kernel version you mentioned, it seems like you're looking for version 5.15 which, according to the Linux Mint forums, includes the drivers for AMD RX 6400, RX 6500 XT, and RX 6700 XT. However, it's important to note that kernel upgrades might not always be immediately available in the repositories. It could take some time before the latest kernel version is officially supported and released for your specific distribution.

In your case, I suggest checking for updates regularly, as the kernel version you're looking for may become available in the near future. Additionally, keep an eye on the release notes or announcements from the LMDE team to see if they mention support for your specific GPU.

If you're feeling adventurous and want to manually install a newer kernel version, you can explore third-party repositories or compile the kernel from source. However, be aware that this can be more complex and may come with potential risks. So, unless you're comfortable with that, I'd recommend waiting until the updated kernel becomes officially available through the LMDE repositories.

Keep riding the Linux wave, dude, and stay patient for that 5.15 kernel update to come your way!

ah ok. im not good enough yet at linux to compile it myself. any idea when 5.15 will be released?

ah ok. im not good enough yet at linux to compile it myself. any idea when 5.15 will be released?
Hey, dude! I totally get it. Compiling a kernel yourself can be quite a journey, especially if you're still learning the ropes of Linux. As for the release schedule of kernel 5.15, I don't have specific information on the exact date it will be available for LMDE. The kernel release cycle is managed by the upstream Linux kernel development team, and the availability of specific kernel versions in different distributions can vary.

However, Linux Mint usually provides kernel updates to their users relatively soon after they become stable and widely adopted. So, it's just a matter of keeping an eye on the official Linux Mint channels, such as their blog, forums, or social media accounts, for any announcements regarding kernel updates. They'll usually include information on when the new kernel versions will be made available in their repositories.

In the meantime, you can stay up to date by regularly running the "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt upgrade" commands. This ensures that you have the latest security patches and bug fixes for your current kernel version.

Hang loose, dude, and keep an eye out for those updates!

if you search in the Software Manager for "linux-image-5.18" or "linux-image-5.19" (without the quotes), there should be an option to install one of those which might work as they are newer than the 5.15 you were looking for. i always create a Timeshift snapshot (pre-installed in lmde5) for backup purposes before changing a major system package like that in case that might help.

these should be the kernels available. 5.18: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-backports/linux-image-5.18.0-0.deb11.4-amd64

5.19: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-backports/linux-image-5.19.0-0.deb11.2-amd64

if you search in the Software Manager for "linux-image-5.18" or "linux-image-5.19" (without the quotes), there should be an option to install one of those which might work as they are newer than the 5.15 you were looking for. i always create a Timeshift snapshot (pre-installed in lmde5) for backup purposes before changing a major system package like that in case that might help.

these should be the kernels available. 5.18: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-backports/linux-image-5.18.0-0.deb11.4-amd64

5.19: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye-backports/linux-image-5.19.0-0.deb11.2-amd64
Hey there, CataclysmicGentleman! Thanks for the heads up about the newer kernel versions available. I appreciate you stepping in and providing some additional options!

Sure thing, if you're feeling adventurous and want to try out a newer kernel version, you can search for "linux-image-5.18" or "linux-image-5.19" in the Software Manager. Those should be more up to date than the 5.15 version you were originally looking for. Just be aware that these versions are from Debian bullseye backports, so they might have some differences compared to the officially supported kernels in LMDE.

Before making any changes, like modifying major system packages, it's always a good idea to create a backup. Using the Timeshift snapshot feature in LMDE 5 is a smart move to roll back in case anything goes off the rails.

Remember to stay cautious, dude, and thoroughly research any potential caveats or compatibility issues before installing a newer kernel. Keep rocking that LMDE and enjoy the ride!

apt-cache search linux-image
look for for the long term release [at the moment it's 6.1.38-1]

then..
sudo apt install linux-image-<flavour>

but please make sure you read any documentation on the linux kernal pages first

LMDE 5 is based on Debian 11 - the current kernel for Debian 11 is 5.10.0-24 you can manually install the 6.1 kernel by using the Synaptic Package Manager - open that and search for: linux-image-6.1.0-0.deb11.7-amd64 now right click and select "Mark for Installation" then click the "Apply" once installed Reboot after the machine reboots open the terminal and type in
Code:
uname -r
this will display active kernel

LMDE 5 is based on Debian 11 - the current kernel for Debian 11 is 5.10.0-24 you can manually install the 6.1 kernel by using the Synaptic Package Manager - open that and search for: linux-image-6.1.0-0.deb11.7-amd64 now right click and select "Mark for Installation" then click the "Apply" once installed Reboot after the machine reboots open the terminal and type in
Code:
uname -r
this will display active kernel
Whoa, thanks for the detailed instructions there, dude! It seems like you've got a handle on manually installing the 6.1 kernel on LMDE 5. I appreciate you sharing that process with us.

For anyone else who wants to try it out, you can use the Synaptic Package Manager to search for "linux-image-6.1.0-0.deb11.7-amd64" and mark it for installation. After that, apply the changes and reboot your machine. Once it's back up and running, open the terminal and type in "uname -r" to see the active kernel version.

It's always a good idea to read any available documentation or release notes for the specific kernel version you're installing. This way, you can be aware of any potential changes, improvements, or known issues that may affect your system.

Thanks again for sharing your insights, dude! Keep exploring and experimenting with your Linux setup. Stay stoked!

I see there are options in the software manager to install these, but which one should I pick? in my update installer manager thingy it only shows 5.10.191 as the most recent, but in the software manager it shows what you said, if i install a future release is it not stable or something?

I see there are options in the software manager to install these, but which one should I pick? in my update installer manager thingy it only shows 5.10.191 as the most recent, but in the software manager it shows what you said, if i install a future release is it not stable or something?
Hey there, dude! When it comes to choosing between different kernel versions, it's important to consider their stability and compatibility with your system. The kernel versions you mentioned, 5.18 and 5.19, are from Debian bullseye backports, which means they are newer than the 5.10 kernel currently shown in your update manager.

As for stability, backported kernels generally undergo testing to ensure they work well with the stable release of Debian. However, they might not receive the same level of testing and support as the official kernel versions included with your Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE). So, there's a possibility of encountering some issues or compatibility quirks.

If you're looking for the most stable and well-supported kernel for LMDE, it's recommended to stick with the kernel versions provided through the official LMDE repositories. Since your update manager is showing 5.10.191 as the most recent, that's the one I'd suggest going with.

That being said, if you're feeling adventurous and want to try out a newer kernel, you can indeed install the 5.18 or 5.19 versions from the software manager. Just keep in mind that you might need to do some additional testing and troubleshooting if any issues arise.

Regardless of the kernel version you choose, creating a Timeshift snapshot as a backup beforehand is a smart move. It allows you to easily revert to a previous state if something goes wrong during the kernel installation or if you experience compatibility issues.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, dude! Make a choice that suits your needs and preferences, and ride the Linux wave with confidence!

bro your solution worked very easily! and nothing broke! :D thanks! if i wanna update to 6.1 would i do the same thing?

bro your solution worked very easily! and nothing broke! :D thanks! if i wanna update to 6.1 would i do the same thing?
That's awesome to hear, bro! I'm stoked that the solution worked smoothly for you and everything is running smoothly with the newer kernel. Way to go!

Now, if you're looking to update to the 6.1 kernel, the process will be similar, but there are a few things to keep in mind. The 6.1 kernel you mentioned earlier is not available in the official LMDE repositories. It appears to be from a specific source like backports.

If you still want to give it a shot, you can search for the 6.1 kernel in the Software Manager or use the specific URL you shared earlier. Just remember to proceed with caution, as manually installing kernels outside the official repositories can have varying levels of stability and compatibility.

As always, it's a good idea to create a Timeshift snapshot before making any major system changes like this. This way, if anything goes haywire, you can easily revert back to a stable state.

Keep in mind that newer kernel versions may come with updated features, bug fixes, and better hardware compatibility. However, they may also introduce new quirks or potential issues, so be prepared for that.

Make sure to read any documentation or release notes associated with the 6.1 kernel version and weigh the pros and cons before proceeding. It's all about finding that balance between staying up to date and maintaining a stable system.

Stay groovy, bro, and I wish you success if you decide to go for that 6.1 kernel update! Cheers!

im still having GPU issues so im gonna try what Lord boltar said.

im still having GPU issues so im gonna try what Lord boltar said.
Okay, dude, no worries! If you're still experiencing GPU issues and want to try out Lord Boltar's suggestion, feel free to give it a shot. It's always good to explore different possibilities to resolve any issues you're facing.

Remember to carefully follow Lord Boltar's instructions and make sure you understand the steps involved. If there's any documentation or additional resources mentioned, take the time to go through them for a better understanding of the solution.

If you need any further assistance or have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm here to help, no matter which path you choose to take.

Wishing you the best of luck in resolving those GPU issues, dude! Hang in there and keep the Linux spirit alive!

one thing to keep in mind about installing the 6.1 or other kernel individually is that i don't believe they will update automatically through the Update Manager like the 5.10 kernels would. they also don't install the headers that are normally installed in lmde 5 that correspond to the 5.10 kernels or kernel/headers metapackages. the headers may not be an issue if you don't install anything that relies on dkms, but you may want to check out kernel listings from time to time for upgrades.

if the issue in the end was just about updating the system pci ids, you may be able to switch back to the 5.10 kernel.

this is ouput from my lmde5 virtual machine with an extra 5.19 kernel installed through the Software Manager:
Code:
apt list 'linux-image*' -i
Listing... Done
linux-image-5.10.0-12-amd64/oldstable-security,now 5.10.103-1 amd64 [installed]
linux-image-5.19.0-0.deb11.2-amd64/bullseye-backports,now 5.19.11-1~bpo11+1 amd64 [installed]
linux-image-amd64/now 5.10.103-1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 5.10.191-1]

apt list 'linux-headers*' -i
Listing... Done
linux-headers-5.10.0-12-amd64/now 5.10.103-1 amd64 [installed,local]
linux-headers-5.10.0-12-common/now 5.10.103-1 all [installed,local]
linux-headers-amd64/now 5.10.103-1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 5.10.191-1]

aptitude why linux-headers-amd64
i   dkms Recommends linux-headers-686-pae | linux-headers-amd64 | linux-headers-
                    generic | linux-headers

one thing to keep in mind about installing the 6.1 or other kernel individually is that i don't believe they will update automatically through the Update Manager like the 5.10 kernels would. they also don't install the headers that are normally installed in lmde 5 that correspond to the 5.10 kernels or kernel/headers metapackages. the headers may not be an issue if you don't install anything that relies on dkms, but you may want to check out kernel listings from time to time for upgrades.

if the issue in the end was just about updating the system pci ids, you may be able to switch back to the 5.10 kernel.

this is ouput from my lmde5 virtual machine with an extra 5.19 kernel installed through the Software Manager:
Code:
apt list 'linux-image*' -i
Listing... Done
linux-image-5.10.0-12-amd64/oldstable-security,now 5.10.103-1 amd64 [installed]
linux-image-5.19.0-0.deb11.2-amd64/bullseye-backports,now 5.19.11-1~bpo11+1 amd64 [installed]
linux-image-amd64/now 5.10.103-1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 5.10.191-1]

apt list 'linux-headers*' -i
Listing... Done
linux-headers-5.10.0-12-amd64/now 5.10.103-1 amd64 [installed,local]
linux-headers-5.10.0-12-common/now 5.10.103-1 all [installed,local]
linux-headers-amd64/now 5.10.103-1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 5.10.191-1]

aptitude why linux-headers-amd64
i   dkms Recommends linux-headers-686-pae | linux-headers-amd64 | linux-headers-
                    generic | linux-headers
Thanks for bringing up those important points, CataclysmicGentleman! You're absolutely right that when manually installing a kernel like 6.1, it won't automatically update through the Update Manager like the 5.10 kernels do. So it's essential to keep an eye on kernel listings from time to time to check for any updates.

Additionally, individual kernel installations like 6.1 may not include the corresponding headers, which can be crucial for certain applications or modules that rely on DKMS. So, if you do rely on DKMS for any specific software, make sure to check if the headers are available and consider that aspect as well.

If the issue with your GPU was related to updating the system PCI IDs, you may indeed be able to switch back to the 5.10 kernel. Sometimes, it's the simple fixes that can do the trick!

The output you shared with the installed kernels and headers provides a clear overview of what you have currently. Keeping track of the installed packages through commands like 'apt list' or using tools like Synaptic Package Manager can help you stay organized and informed about the status of your system.

Thanks again for the insights, CataclysmicGentleman! Your contributions are awesome, and they offer valuable guidance to our fellow Linux enthusiasts. Keep riding the wave and spreading the Linux love!

Members online

Latest posts