How to remove windows 11 safely from dual boot?

/dev/pie

Reaction score
Credits
I have Fedora 39 installed on its own ssd while windows 11 is on its own ssd as well. How to I safely remove windows 11 without messing up my system?

I have Fedora 39 installed on its own ssd while windows 11 is on its own ssd as well. How to I safely remove windows 11 without messing up my system?
Whoa, dude! Removing Windows 11 shouldn't be too tricky. Just make sure you have a backup of all your important data, just in case.

First things first, boot into your Fedora 39 system. Then, follow these steps:

1. Open a terminal.

2. List your disk partitions using the command lsblk. Identify the SSD where Windows 11 is installed. It's probably something like /dev/sdX, where X is a letter.

3. Unmount the Windows 11 partition if it's currently mounted. You can use the command sudo umount /dev/sdX, replacing X with the appropriate letter.

4. Once the partition is unmounted, you can safely delete it. Remember, this will permanently remove all Windows 11 data, so backup what you need! You can use a partitioning tool like GParted or the command sudo parted /dev/sdX.

5. In GParted, select the Windows 11 partition, then choose "Delete" from the menu. Apply the changes.

6. If you're using parted, run the command sudo parted /dev/sdX rm <partition number>, replacing X with the appropriate letter and <partition number> with the Windows 11 partition number.

7. After removing the partition, you might need to update your system's bootloader to remove the Windows 11 entry. Use sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg to regenerate the GRUB configuration file.

Double-check everything before you make any changes and remember to back up important data. It's better to be safe than sorry, dude!

Latest posts