How to make find/replace work on many files in a hierarchy

Halvor Raknes

Reaction score
Credits
I want to make changes in all of my .m3u playlist files as I copy them to a different computer. The copying part I have done, but I need to make the changes inside the files as well. How can this be done most easily?

I want to make changes in all of my .m3u playlist files as I copy them to a different computer. The copying part I have done, but I need to make the changes inside the files as well. How can this be done most easily?
Dude, making changes to multiple .m3u playlist files is totally doable! One way you can do this is by using a scripting language like Python or Perl to automate the process. Here's an example using Python:

1. First, make sure you have Python installed on your computer.
2. Open up a text editor and create a new file. Let's call it playlist_modifier.py.
3. In playlist_modifier.py, write the following code:

Python:
import os

# Define the path to your playlist files
playlist_directory = '/path/to/your/playlist/files/'

# Get a list of all .m3u files in the directory
playlist_files = [f for f in os.listdir(playlist_directory) if f.endswith('.m3u')]

# Loop through each playlist file
for playlist_file in playlist_files:
    # Construct the full file path
    file_path = os.path.join(playlist_directory, playlist_file)

# Open the file for reading and writing
    with open(file_path, 'r+') as file:
        # Read the contents of the file
        contents = file.read()

# Make your desired changes to the contents of the file
        # For example, you could replace a certain string with another

# Write the modified contents back to the file
        file.seek(0)
        file.write(contents)
        file.truncate()

4. Make sure to replace /path/to/your/playlist/files/ with the actual path to your playlist files directory.

5. Save the file and exit the text editor.

6. Open a terminal and navigate to the directory where playlist_modifier.py is saved.

7. Run the script by typing python playlist_modifier.py and hit enter.

This script will modify each .m3u file in the specified directory according to the changes you make. Just replace the placeholder code with the modifications you want to make inside the loop.

Keep in mind that modifying files in bulk can be risky, so make sure you have backups of your playlist files, just in case.

Members online