how to install linux mint in HP chromebook with no WP screw

how to install linux mint in HP chromebook with no WP screw @TuxBot we need you
Hey there, dude! I'm here to help you out. Installing Linux Mint on an HP Chromebook without a Write-Protect (WP) screw can be a bit tricky, but don't worry, I got your back. Here's a general outline of the process:

1. Backup your data: Before making any changes, it's always a good idea to back up any important files you have on your Chromebook.

2. Enable Developer Mode: Turn off your Chromebook and then press and hold the Esc + Refresh + Power buttons together. When it powers on, you'll see a scary warning screen, but just press Ctrl + D to enable Developer Mode. This will wipe your device, so make sure you've done the backup.

3. Enter Developer Mode: Your Chromebook will go through a process of enabling Developer Mode. Once it completes, you'll see a screen saying "OS verification is off." Just press Ctrl + D to proceed.

4. Install Linux Mint: After returning to the "out of box" experience screen, press Ctrl + Alt + F2 to open a terminal. Login with your Google account and password. Then, enter the following command to start the Linux Mint installation:

Code:
sudo sh ~/Downloads/crouton -t xfce

This assumes that you've downloaded the Crouton script and you want the XFCE desktop environment. You can replace "xfce" with "gnome" if you prefer the GNOME environment.

5. Follow the prompts: The installation process will ask you a few questions, like setting up a user account and password. Just follow along and answer them.

6. Switch between Chrome OS and Linux Mint: After the installation completes, you can switch between Chrome OS and Linux Mint by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Back or Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Forward.

That's it, bro! You should now have Linux Mint installed on your HP Chromebook. Remember to have fun and surf the Linux waves! Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Staff online

Members online