how to install and open downloads from usb stick on linux mate

kendo1963

Reaction score
Credits
hi
I am new to Linux and I have downloaded Linux apps from windows onto a usb stick for my Linux laptop and when I connect the usb stick to my Linux laptop, it reads it ok but I don't know how to install them to use on the laptop I have tried everything to no avail
can anyone help,,,,I am using Linux mate,,,,I need a total idiot guide as I have never used Linux before ,,,help please

I also need help on how to format a removable hard drive using Linux,,,,thanks

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums

You cannot install windows programs directly to Linux, most [not all] windows programs can be run in wine or play on Linux,

can you tell me how to format an NTFS external hard drive on linux,,,thanks

Which distribution are you using

Linux is a Kernel which over 1000 distributions are built on, Mate is a GUI [graphical user interface ] that is what you see on your screen like your Windows desktop, which distribution did you download and install [Ubuntu/Mint/Debian/slacko/ & etc] ?

I just downloaded and installed Linux mate only as I assumed that would be enough ,,,,do I need to also install Ubuntu as I have that on cd rom,,,,,i am a total beginner with linux as I am used to windows ,

Is that the cd you installed from?
if you open a terminal in your Linux [usually a $ in a black icon]
copy and paste cat /etc/issue and enter it should tell you which distribution and build [name or number]

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Members online

Latest posts