How to Get to Comand Line in Debian 12 with Gui there by Accident

carlarogers

Reaction score
Credits
I just created a new instance of Debian, accidently i=installing some kind of gui. I never use the Debian GUI. I need to get to the command line. I cannot figure out how to do that.

Can you tell
gui.png
me how to get to the command line in debian from a screen that looks like this?

Do I just need to rebulid and leave off the graphic stuff?

Last edited:

You could Ctrl+Alt+F1

(To get back use Ctrl_Alt+F7)

That pic in post #1 looks like a screensaver which tells you how to unlock it. There may be a password you have to enter which will be indicated on screen, or you may just enter into the system where you can start using the apps from a panel or menus.

If you get past the screensaver, the menus or panel that show depend on what is installed. You can hunt through the menus for a terminal which, if you select it, will provide a prompt for command line entries.

You could try and go to a virtual console terminal with the command cntl+alt+F2, where F2 could be F3, F4 etc. To return to the GUI, it may be alt+F1, or cntl+alt+F1, or using F7 instead of F1, as mentioned in post #2. The screensaver may, however, forbid opening a virtual console terminal, since it may be protecting entry into the operating system.

It occurs to me that there may be some other issue that is not being explained in post #1, for example, you may not be able to get past this screen using the onscreen instruction, and may want to get to a command line prompt to get into the system to repair it. If that's the case, please make that clear since there are solutions for that which can be offered.

You should not need to get rid of the GUI programs, nor re-install.

Last edited:
If you want to do this as a one time thing...
at the grub menu, you should have a few seconds before it boots
into linux, press "e" to edit.

Cursor down to the line that starts with "linux" and arrow over all the way to the end of this line. ( it usually ends with something like "rhgb quiet" ) just type a 3 ( the number three) at the end of this line, and then press cntrl-x to continue booting up in grub. This will boot you into text mode.
Make sure you don't put this on the initrd line, or it won't work.

If you want to make this permanent, once you are logged into the system,
type this...

systemctl set-default multi-user.target

Now when you reboot, it will always boot into text mode.

You could Ctrl+Alt+F1

(To get back use Ctrl_Alt+F7)
Where?

If you want to do this as a one time thing...
at the grub menu, you should have a few seconds before it boots
into linux, press "e" to edit.

Cursor down to the line that starts with "linux" and arrow over all the way to the end of this line. ( it usually ends with something like "rhgb quiet" ) just type a 3 ( the number three) at the end of this line, and then press cntrl-x to continue booting up in grub. This will boot you into text mode.
Make sure you don't put this on the initrd line, or it won't work.

If you want to make this permanent, once you are logged into the system,
type this...

Now when you reboot, it will always boot into text mode.
This sounds like it could work, here I go!

That pic in post #1 looks like a screensaver which tells you how to unlock it. There may be a password you have to enter which will be indicated on screen, or you may just enter into the system where you can start using the apps from a panel or menus.

If you get past the screensaver, the menus or panel that show depend on what is installed. You can hunt through the menus for a terminal which, if you select it, will provide a prompt for command line entries.

You could try and go to a virtual console terminal with the command cntl+alt+F2, where F2 could be F3, F4 etc. To return to the GUI, it may be alt+F1, or cntl+alt+F1, or using F7 instead of F1, as mentioned in post #2. The screensaver may, however, forbid opening a virtual console terminal, since it may be protecting entry into the operating system.

It occurs to me that there may be some other issue that is not being explained in post #1, for example, you may not be able to get past this screen using the onscreen instruction, and may want to get to a command line prompt to get into the system to repair it. If that's the case, please make that clear since there are solutions for that which can be offered.

You should not need to get rid of the GUI programs, nor re-install.
I got past the lock, bu then nothing shows up

ef.png

This is all I got, no sign of "linux". I poked around but could not get to the console
1698970232313.png

This is a slightly more expansive version of the post #4 by dos2unix.
As you boot up, just as the grub menu appears, press the letter e.
Don't make any selection within the grub menu, just hit the letter e, which is short for "edit".
That will show a screen of text.
Navigate down with the arrow keys to the line that starts with the term "linux".
At the end of that line, type a space, and add the number 3.
If there are some terms there already inside quotations marks, like: "rhgb quiet", then type the space and the number 3, inside the quotation marks, after the last word, whatever it is.

Then press cntl+x to boot.

For the rest, follow the steps dos2unix mentioned in post #4.

You don't really have to edit the grub boot line at all.
Go ahead and login to the GUI, open a console and type...

You will need root privileges, so you can use sudo or su

and reboot. That's it. If you want to have Xwindows again at some point, re-enable it like this...

systemctl set-default graphical.target

( This is assuming all the packages needed to run the Desktop GUI are installed )

You will need to reboot after these commands.

Grubun parçalanmasını gerçekten düzenlemenize gerek yok yok.
Devam edin ve GUI'de oturum açın, bir konsol açın ve şunu yazın:

systemctl set-default çoklu kullanıcı.target

Kök ayrıcalıklarına ihtiyacınız olacak, dolayısıyla sudo veya su kullanabilirsiniz

ve yeniden başlatın. Bu kadar. Bir noktada Xwindows'a tekrar sahip olmak istiyorsanız, bu şekilde yeniden etkinleştirmenin...

systemctl set-varsayılan graphal.target

(Bu, Masaüstü GUI'sini çalıştırmak için gereken tüm paketlerin kurulu olduğu varsayılmaktadır)

Bu komutlardan sonra yeniden başlatmanız gerekecek.
wooow, you are sooo good thx for infooooo <3

Thank you for taking time to help with this problem. I appreciate it immensely.

I could not get any interaction from the screens at all. I deleted instance of debian and installed it again. I found the mistake I made in the first installaiton and did not repeat. Now it is is running ok. Unfortunately i have a problem with the instance I am replacing.

Members online