How is word processing affected in Linux when your PC/laptop crashes?

Nao57

Reaction score
Credits
So I wanted to ask this as being new to Linux. With windows, if you crash and your pc either shuts down, freezes, etc, ... if you are writing something or word processing then when you reboot you don't lose anything. But I don't know if this is the same for Linux or not? Is it?

And if it is different, is there something you have to tweak or install to make it so you don't lose stuff?

I still freeze up at least once a day using Linux. Some of that may be because its not a new computer and a bit older. As long as I don't lose my work I'll be OK. But seriously losing something important or job related is scary.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

And also thank you for the wonderful community here. Everyone is so nice and good. Its noticeably different than normal forums like a youtube chat or comment system where you run into all kinds of behavior.

It depends (I think) on how often it is set to 'save'.

I am not at all sure, but I have a memory of the "save every x minutes' setting'

i assume you are using Libre Office Writer for this task ?

And....those crashes need to be fixed (separate topic) We have guys with laptops etc her that are ~10 years old...operating with no problems

EDIT:....just spotted your crashing thread HERE

So I wanted to ask this as being new to Linux. With windows, if you crash and your pc either shuts down, freezes, etc, ... if you are writing something or word processing then when you reboot you don't lose anything. But I don't know if this is the same for Linux or not? Is it?

And if it is different, is there something you have to tweak or install to make it so you don't lose stuff?

I still freeze up at least once a day using Linux. Some of that may be because its not a new computer and a bit older. As long as I don't lose my work I'll be OK. But seriously losing something important or job related is scary.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

And also thank you for the wonderful community here. Everyone is so nice and good. Its noticeably different than normal forums like a youtube chat or comment system where you run into all kinds of behavior.
There's a setting in Libre write for autosave, but Windoze does NOT save whatever you're working on unless you set the app to autosave. I'm not sure where that understanding came from, but I've lost a good many things I was working on over the years in Windoze during a crash. There's nothing in Windoze itself (OS wide) that autosaves for you. IIRC MS Word has it turned on by default, and I believe the setting you're looking for in Libre Write for instance is found here. LINK to instructions

Screenshot from 2023-07-29 19-31-46.png

Last edited:
Thanks @xlbooyahlx ....AUTOSAVE, is the feature I was alluding to !

Members online