How do you see your password (and take a screenshot) when setting up linux ?

This might help....(then again, it might not !)

o change your password in Linux, open the terminal and type:
Code:
passwd

It will ask you for your old password and than give you the chance to create a new password.

Make sure you write down your new password.!!

----------------------------------------------------------

Does your request mean that you have forgotten/misplaced your password ?

Code:
passwd

It will ask you for your old password and than give you the chance to create a new password.

No "TotallyPuzzled" has proposed a new problem statement. its nothing to do with changing password

Code:
passwd

The scenario: Imagine I'm seting up linux on a blank drive. From what I remember (and why I gave up) There were only dots. oops
there is one extra dot in the confirmation line. Rats. I made a mistake ..... start all over again. I think I did this at least four times before I got ticked off and quit. If you want people to quit please tell us now. Thank you

Some distros don't even show the asterisks.

They don't show it on purpose. It's to prevent 'shoulder surfing', a security measure. You just kinda have to type what you meant to type and know what you typed.

There's probably a way to show passwords, but that won't be an option while installing - it'll be some distant/deeper configuration file that needs to be changed.

You gotta take care. It's actually a good lesson to learn.

I imagine the purpose of the dots is security. A person looking over your shoulder is going to have no clue what you just typed.

Patience is called for. Type the password in very carefully and then click next etc etc

For now it could be an idea to write it down (destroy later, when you are sure of it)

I have used Linux for approx 9 years....you and I are around the same age.

I deliberately made a password that I can enter in seconds......Yet the password is still not a 123456 type password.

I was fortunate because my son had been using Linux for a few years at that point and I learned a little bit from him.

In the process of using Linux, you will be required to use that password over and over again. So make it easy for yourself.

The idea of having to use that password iover and over is to be certain that any "stray fingers" (grandkids, other adults etc etc) cannot enter something on the pc that will affect the ROOT account. The password protects that root account with good reason.

Enter something weird in that a/c can seriously screw the whole show.....and you will end up doing a reinstall.

Linux is really a friendly OS.

ps.
and it's free.

Set it to something simple which you can then later change and save it in a password manager/vault, also you don't have to reinstall if you forgot your password you can reset it by booting into rescue or from the live media.

Members online

Latest posts