Here's An Idea.....

B

blackneos940

So I thought of something..... The actual files Windows 8 needs to use in order to boot properly via Secure Boot are likely FAR fewer than the more REPLACEABLE components, like say, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, Notepad, Paint, you name it..... :) And, after downloading and installing this (sigh, proprietary, but COOL) Theme Patcher, and some Theme Changers, from skinpacks.com, I got to thinking..... What if I pulled a Richard Stallman, and started replacing the non-essential components to Windows, one by one, with FOSS Software, like I did with Notepad, IE, etc., etc......? Over time, I won't have LINUX, but I WILL have a (MOSTLY) FOSS OS..... :D Well..... What do you guys think.....? :D Oh, here..... :3 Yes, that's a Unity Start Orb..... :) You can take me out of the Linux, but you can't take the Linux out of me..... :D Oh, I just noticed..... The earlier version was named 1337!..... :D
Screenshot (1338).png

Last edited:

Even when running Windows, I have always avoided other Microsoft products... including IE, their various email clients, and their anti-virus product "Defender." And I've nearly always chosen FREE software alternatives, although I have been known to pay for shareware apps that I really liked. I sometimes donate to favorite FOSS projects as well. It's good karma.

But Windows is now less than 1% of my computing time. And I like that better!

Cheers!

So I thought of something..... The actual files Windows 8 needs to use in order to boot properly via Secure Boot are likely FAR fewer than the more REPLACEABLE components, like say, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, Notepad, Paint, you name it..... :) And, after downloading and installing this (sigh, proprietary, but COOL) Theme Patcher, and some Theme Changers, from skinpacks.com, I got to thinking..... What if I pulled a Richard Stallman, and started replacing the non-essential components to Windows, one by one, with FOSS Software, like I did with Notepad, IE, etc., etc......? Over time, I won't have LINUX, but I WILL have a (MOSTLY) FOSS OS..... :D Well..... What do you guys think.....? :D Oh, here..... :3 Yes, that's a Unity Start Orb..... :) You can take me out of the Linux, but you can't take the Linux out of me..... :D Oh, I just noticed..... The earlier version was named 1337!..... :DView attachment 1815
IMHO, you can replace all or most of the Windows Applications on a Mickey$oft system with FLOSS alternatives, and this IS a great idea if forced to run a Windoze system for work, however...

You will still have a Windoze system. The underling O/S will still be Mickey$oft with all the underlying Security flaws, other defects, and still be susceptible to all the Malware aimed at those flaws.

Better to try to switch over to Linux cold turkey, as much as possible, and work to get at least the major Distro's of Linux to install and boot with UEFI.

IMHO, you can replace all or most of the Windows Applications on a Mickey$oft system with FLOSS alternatives, and this IS a great idea if forced to run a Windoze system for work, however...

You will still have a Windoze system. The underling O/S will still be Mickey$oft with all the underlying Security flaws, other defects, and still be susceptible to all the Malware aimed at those flaws.

Better to try to switch over to Linux cold turkey, as much as possible, and work to get at least the major Distro's of Linux to install and boot with UEFI.

I'd LOVE to..... But like I said, my charger for my Chromebook keeps breaking..... So I have to make do.... :( But why did you put "FLOSS".....? :D

Even when running Windows, I have always avoided other Microsoft products... including IE, their various email clients, and their anti-virus product "Defender." And I've nearly always chosen FREE software alternatives, although I have been known to pay for shareware apps that I really liked. I sometimes donate to favorite FOSS projects as well. It's good karma.

But Windows is now less than 1% of my computing time. And I like that better!

Cheers!

Yeah, I know what you mean..... I mean, my Dad didn't know that this ASUS was like this..... But the people at Best Buy recommended it..... Dear Lord, I've got all the Luck..... AND I'm Irish..... :(

I'd LOVE to..... But like I said, my charger for my Chromebook keeps breaking..... So I have to make do.... :( But why did you put "FLOSS".....? :D
FLOSS == Free, Libre, Open Source Software.
"FLOSS" was used in 2001 as a project acronym by Rishab Aiyer Ghosh for free/libre/open-source software. Later that year, the European Commission (EC) used the phrase when they funded a study on the topic.
As for your Chromebook, is it the external "Charger" that breaks or the connection in the Chromebook? They make generic chargers/power supplies that would work with your Chrombook. I use Micro Center for most of my needs. I have about five different stores available to me in the NYC area, and many stores around the country.

FLOSS == Free, Libre, Open Source Software.
As for your Chromebook, is it the external "Charger" that breaks or the connection in the Chromebook? They make generic chargers/power supplies that would work with your Chrombook. I use Micro Center for most of my needs. I have about five different stores available to me in the NYC area, and many stores around the country.

Well, the Charger itself broke, not the part that's connected to the MOBO, which is a relief, to be Honest..... :) This one, which was the same model as the replacement one, is flimsy just like the old one..... :( And once the old one broke, I took it apart (but not the MAIN unit, as the actual Adapter that BROKE is just an Adapter that plugs into a BIGGER one..... :)) I got the exact same crappy one as a replacement, though, and this one broke..... *le-sigh...* :( I'll look into Micro Center..... But WOW, you live in the Big Apple.....??? :) I used to live in the Mainland of N.Y., and my Dad sometimes goes to N.Y.C., and also feeds the workers who get the Ball ready to drop..... :3 He's there every YEAR, I think..... :3 They have some GREAT Italian Restaurants there, don't they.....? I'm glad some New Yorkers came down to N.C., as I miss the Pizza up Northeast..... :( Also, Thanks for telling me what FLOSS meant..... :3 I KNEW it had something to do with FOSS, but to me, it sounded like Dental Floss..... :3 Also, I like the way you utilized the "=" sign..... XD Geeks UNITE!..... :3

Staff online

Members online