Help?!

TeeRenee

Reaction score
Credits
i live in the los angeles area and am inquiring about "personal lessons". I dont understand anything about linux but it came installed on this chromebook that i am not too fond of....Help?

I am not from the L.A area, though I would gladly be able to assist you.

Before getting started, ChromeOS differs a bit from what the majority of Linux distributions, at least in terms of functionality, as the way you install software, updates are different.

Is it running ChromeOS or another Linux operating system?

G'day @TeeRenee (and welcome Jared)

If I were in your shoes I would contact your nearest Linux User Group (LUG).

If you Google

linux user group los angeles

you will find some references, and I cannot tell you what is current and what is not, you will have to help yourself there.

I also cannot guess which LUGs are impacted by COVID and how, with regard to attending Meetings.

One of our Members has a site he provides tips at, and the first one to read would be this

https://linux-tips.us/how-to-ask-a-good-support-question/

Perhaps use it if you make contact with a LUG, or with us.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day TeeRenee, Welcome to Linux.org

Tell us a bit about your chromebook. We have a few members here who use those particular units, so we should be able to perhaps help you fall in love with your new found Linux.

Give us as much detail as you can....which Linux etc etc etc

Welcome to the forums, changing to a completely new operating system to that which you have been used to may seem daunting,
It looks different, the applications [programs as Windows users call them] have strange names, and although they do the same job, work a little different.
As my friends have already asked, what is the distribution loaded to your machine,
And what is it that is particular bugging you about it.
Changing operating systems is like jumping from driving a lorry to driving a Harley, both will get you from A to B, but you have to go through a learning curve to handle the change

G'day TeeRenee, Welcome to Linux.org

Tell us a bit about your chromebook. We have a few members here who use those particular units, so we should be able to perhaps help you fall in love with your new found Linux.

Give us as much detail as you can....which Linux etc etc etc
My chromebook is a "lapsore"... shoulda got a desktop frfr it has maybe 64 gb of storage which the system has over for in use not including to 10 for linux and the chrome version is
Version 97.0.4692.102 (Official Build) (64-bitVersion 11
and this is the terminal info
Debian GNU/Linux 11
codename bullseye -- :confused: lol
static name penguin
machine and boot id
virtualization 1xc
kernel wit x86-64 architechture
home and support urls w/a back end to report bugs

how did i do?

Before getting started, ChromeOS differs a bit from what the majority of Linux distributions, at least in terms of functionality, as the way you install software, updates are different.

it seems to be running both. i have the option to turn Linux Development on or off

Welcome to the forums, changing to a completely new operating system to that which you have been used to may seem daunting,
It looks different, the applications [programs as Windows users call them] have strange names, and although they do the same job, work a little different.
As my friends have already asked, what is the distribution loaded to your machine,
And what is it that is particular bugging you about it.
Changing operating systems is like jumping from driving a lorry to driving a Harley, both will get you from A to B, but you have to go through a learning curve to handle the change
Chrome OS Version 97.0.4692.102 (Official Build) (64-bitVersion 11
Debian GNU/Linux 11
static name penguin
machine and boot id
virtualization 1xc
......IM USED TO WINDOWS NOT CHROMIUM or DUCK DUCK whoever...lol so i have to find something to like about it

Chrome OS Version 97.0.4692.102 (Official Build) (64-bitVersion 11
Debian GNU/Linux 11
static name penguin
machine and boot id
virtualization 1xc
......IM USED TO WINDOWS NOT CHROMIUM or DUCK DUCK whoever...lol so i have to find something to like about it
AND i dont have any storage, cant send a camera pic, it has to be a file and it dont really tell you shit about it , the chromebook. that damn google sumelse

Something wrong with your Chrome then, as the web address clearly starts https://

You may have another answer to your problem, provided the chromebook has a minimum 32gb drive then on many [but not all] you can install a licenced version of W10, BUT it's not straightforward [net search "install windows on chromebook"] there are several tutorials

Members online