Help w/ Android Issues?

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
Do you guys help others w/ Android Issues since Android has a part of Linux?

No, for the most part we don't offer Android support. There are MANY highly competent Android forums available on the web.

We're usually busy enough trying to keep up with just regular computer and server questions regarding Linux.

Cheers

Okay

I dealt with my 'Android issues',,,,by buying an iphone 7s

I dealt with my 'Android issues',,,,by buying an iphone 7s
Thanks but I don't trust The Apple Companies IPhones. I only trust Google's Androids.

I don't trust ANY mobile phone. Period. They are all managed by the biggest data-collection monsters the world has ever seen, and Google is by far the worst of all. They all have let bad apps into their stores. Yes, I use one (yes, Android).... but I won't trust it for anything with money (banking apps, Google Pay, credit purchases, etc). I use an extremely minimal number of apps other than what came on the phone, and I have also disabled or uninstalled most of the apps that did come on the phone. The apps that remain are carefully reviewed to restrict their permissions wherever it seems possible and reasonable. No, I do not trust mobile phones! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Do you have a firewall on your phone? Anti-virus? Anti-malware? Do you have any idea who your phone communicates with behind your back? Do you have Twitter or Facebook? Oh yeah.... that's a good idea. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry, I'll end my rant now.... just one old man's paranoid opinion. :D:D:D

Cheers

(P.S. Don't even get me started on fingerprint sensors, iris scanners, or other biometric data collection! :D)

b_Zo_Rud6_-_Imgur.gif

I don't trust ANY mobile phone. Period. They are all managed by the biggest data-collection monsters the world has ever seen, and Google is by far the worst of all. They all have let bad apps into their stores. Yes, I use one (yes, Android).... but I won't trust it for anything with money (banking apps, Google Pay, credit purchases, etc). I use an extremely minimal number of apps other than what came on the phone, and I have also disabled or uninstalled most of the apps that did come on the phone. The apps that remain are carefully reviewed to restrict their permissions wherever it seems possible and reasonable. No, I do not trust mobile phones! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Do you have a firewall on your phone? Anti-virus? Anti-malware? Do you have any idea who your phone communicates with behind your back? Do you have Twitter or Facebook? Oh yeah.... that's a good idea. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry, I'll end my rant now.... just one old man's paranoid opinion. :D:D:D

Cheers

(P.S. Don't even get me started on fingerprint sensors, iris scanners, or other biometric data collection! :D)
My Android 4.4 Tablet comes tomorrow. For Android, I trust CM Security> http://www.cmcm.com/en-us/ http://www.cmcm.com/en-us/cm-security/

Your call, Eddie... your devices.

What is Android 4.4... KitKat??? That is seriously old now (5 years old). And older Android cannot get updates to keep them secure. This is another big problem with the Android ecosystem.

Not to argue but there are some Android App Stores that still support Android 4.4 such as Aptoide & 1Mobile Market and there are some apps in Google Play that still support 4.4. Btw mine will be Android Lollipop.

Plus I might have a way to upgrade it if I want to once I get a reply from the seller.

Not to argue but there are some Android App Stores that still support Android 4.4 such as Aptoide & 1Mobile Market and there are some apps in Google Play that still support 4.4. Btw mine will be Android Lollipop.
No argument... I can't tell you what to do, and I hope that I don't sound like I am. But I am advising caution to you. The Google Play Store is somewhat like the Ubuntu Repositories.... they are your best source of apps. Even though bad apps can sneak in, the Play Store and Ubuntu Repositories are generally safer to use than things that you download from other sources on the web. There are good "outside sources" on the web too (like using PPA's for Ubuntu).... but you are at greater risk of running into something bad. The risk is for you to research and weigh out in your mind... and to possibly be prepared for problems, like with using Timeshift so you can get out of a jam. If you blindly install apps from anywhere or anybody.... you may run into trouble one day.

Android versions I will argue... in a friendly way! :D Android 4.4 is KitKat. Android 5.0 is Lollipop. Perhaps you can upgrade to Lollipop, but if the tablet is shipping with 4.4, then it is KitKat. See details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

Cheers

Okay then i'll be having Kitkat then. :D Btw, it looks like I've started quite the conversation here.

Just the mere mention of iphone set you going Eddie....

good luck with the new tablet.

So much for not supporting Android! LOL :D:D

We do get into discussions about Android at times, like now. But that is just not our focus here, even though we will try to answer some basic and simpler questions. I think XDA Developers is one of the best sites for Android, but there are many others. Those guys/gals eat, sleep, and breathe Android... kind of like we eat, sleep, and breathe Linux. But Android is not "just another Linux distro" (although there is one group working on a desktop Android, but that's another story).

Your best source of info for your tablet and Android in general will be to seek out some of those forums and take advantage of their expertise.

Cheers

Yes, Google is your best friend!

I've been on all the bigger forums at one time, but I don't play with my phone or tablets like that anymore. It got to be too time consuming and addicting for me. :eek:

Thanks but I don't trust The Apple Companies IPhones. I only trust Google's Androids.
Data collection is just part of cell phones except or not your data is collected.

Me I use tracfone and buy a new one every year.

Cost me $59.00 to $79.00 a year everything and a new smart phone to boot.

It's only a phone and is only used when I need to use it to make only phone calls.

I don't need to text and I don't Facebook or do social media other than forums as Linux.Org.

I don't understand and never will understand why I see people always on their cell phones texting.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Life is good. ;)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts