Help Please - Need Suggestions for VM Install w/Windows

GoodStuffDaily

Reaction score
Credits
Hello All! I appreciate the help in advance!!

Like the title said...need help with a VM install with Windows. I do not want to use VMWare because I read the privacy policy and WOW IT TRACKS MY BLOOD TYPE...lol..but it is a privacy beast..I mean I don't mind sharing a little but not the entire operation of the Virtual Client. Anyway, I think the Oracle Virtual Box sounds good but I just started researching.

Please provide suggestions....Now...Lol..thanks

Hi @GoodStuffDaily , and welcome to linux.org :)

....Now...

Now, is easier said than done. We are staffed by volunteers from around the world, and I regret they will get to you when they can :)

I am from Australia, but relatively new to VMs. I use only Linux, but we have others whom dualboot, and also use VMs.

Virtualbox is the preference of most.

Can you tell us your timezone, give us a broad sketch of the problems you are facing, which Linux you are trying to install on what version of Windows, and the specs for your computer?

At the moment we have nothing to go on.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi.
You have similar software:
  • QEmu
  • KVM
  • Parallels
  • Xen
  • Virt-Manager
  • VMware-Fusion
Pick one 8or all) and testing Linux on it!

Hi @GoodStuffDaily, and welcome! For privacy concerns, I would erase Windows and install Linux as the host OS. Then if Windows is required, install it inside a VM where it can be better contained from most viruses. And especially if you're using Windows 10.... it is a privacy nightmare.

But, since you're not likely to take that suggestion right now, my vote is for VirtualBox as it is the only one I have any (limited) experience with. It is fairly easy to setup and use in Windows or Linux.

No matter what additional software you install, whether in Windows or Mac or Linux, in most cases people will not know if such software will "phone home" to it's creators, and what it might report. (That's my biggest paranoia about password managers!) It is not a perfect world, and privacy/security is a constant trade-off with convenience. If you really want privacy, computing will not be very convenient anymore.:eek::D

Cheers

Hi, it's me, xD1G0x, I also use Oracle VM VirtualBox, because my Laptop can't run VMWare. Here's is how you can run Linux on Oracle VM.
Download Oracle VM VirtualBox here: https://www.virtualbox.org/
Then you downloaded it, run it and it will show Wizard Setup. All you need to do just press "Next" all the time [Like I do], accept policy if needed. When setup finished, check Run Oracle VM VirtualBox now and press Finish.
Then you will see screen, whit white sun [labeled New], Yellow gear [labeled Settings], and grey arrows down and right [They are grey if you didn't create new Virtual Machine, Labeled Start and Labeled Discard]
Download Linux, like Ubuntu, Mint, and others.
Press New
Type Ubuntu and it will automatically choose Ubuntu as your OS. Select RAM [More RAMs, much better, less LAG]
Then select How much storage do you want to give to the Ubuntu. [Like 8GB, 16GB, 15GB and etc].
Press Next and it create small section called Ubuntu. You can't run now.
Press on Ubuntu section one time, then press Settings, in there go to Storage section and press on little CD/DVD disk. You will see it's empty. Press that little CD/DVD disk icon beside CD/DVD drive. Navigate to your ISO format Ubuntu, select him, press next.
Close settings.
Start Ubuntu, and here you go. If you have any problems with VirtualBox, contact to me or reply this threads.

Also, here's are detailed instruction too about installing Linux on VirtualBox: https://www.lifewire.com/run-ubuntu-within-windows-virtualbox-2202098

Hope you enjoy Ubuntu or other Linux OS.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online