Hello to all and have a question "Oh Gee"

W

whosit

Hello I'm a Newbie. Looks like a very good site. Have been doing a lot of reading but I have a question.... oh gee.... first some background, I first got started with Linux, dated Jan 20, 2003.. in early 2003 or 2004, played around with them for several years. Had some real problems with Linux, we just were not getting along. I'm back to Linux and there are so many to choose from, Linux has done some real changes. Since I do not have a decent internet band width, I have purchased several DVD's from a supplier (don't know if I can mention business names) Now for the question? With all the changes that have taken place over the years is it possible that there is a USB Drive (flash, thumb type) that has a Linux OS on it that plugs in and can be operated as a drive..... My thought is a larger drive would permit saving files and I could use it for a while. I could use anyone's machine to operate MY operating system. Just plugin and play??? on any machine. I'm not looking for a flash drive OS in a .iso file. whosit

There are basically three types of flash drive installation
1) Normal. This is just a LiveCD on a flash drive. When the computer is switched off everything "saved" is lost.
2) With Persistence. Here you create a partition on the flash drive. You can download XYZ to that partition. When the computer is switched off XYZ will stay on the partition. It does not keep changes to the configuration.
3) Full install. This does what it says. It will keep changes to configuration. Whether this is possible depends on what distro you choose. Look at e.g.
http://sparkylinux.org/sparkylinux-full-usb-stick-installation/
and
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-install-linux-usb-flash-drive

The place to get information used to be http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ but it seems to have got a bit stale.

I would try the distro I use because there is a choice of different Window Managers - LinuxBBQ which has a simple install script and full installs to usb no stupid save files.
http://linuxbbq.org/bbs/index.php

Download section link and documentation link are at the top of the page.

Hello I'm a Newbie. Looks like a very good site. Have been doing a lot of reading but I have a question.... oh gee.... first some background, I first got started with Linux, dated Jan 20, 2003.. in early 2003 or 2004, played around with them for several years. Had some real problems with Linux, we just were not getting along. I'm back to Linux and there are so many to choose from, Linux has done some real changes. Since I do not have a decent internet band width, I have purchased several DVD's from a supplier (don't know if I can mention business names) Now for the question? With all the changes that have taken place over the years is it possible that there is a USB Drive (flash, thumb type) that has a Linux OS on it that plugs in and can be operated as a drive..... My thought is a larger drive would permit saving files and I could use it for a while. I could use anyone's machine to operate MY operating system. Just plugin and play??? on any machine. I'm not looking for a flash drive OS in a .iso file. whosit
Welcome sir, what kind of hardware are you using.?:)

Welcome sir, what kind of hardware are you using.?:)
I wish i had started with the Comadore but I started just after that I believe it was a windows and a 283 machine. That is probably wrong it was a while back. Then windows 3.1 (still have the complete setup) I still have and do use the 3.5 high density disks used in the A drive. The old A drive has been thru a couple machines.

Now most not all of my hardware has been replaced with new smaller frame Antec ISK310-150, 16g mem... dual boot... newer knoppix.. just trying to keep up a little... it's moving very fast, playing with latest mist

I see that you use Drake and Heath. I use kenwood and yeh we getting a little older.

KB7MM
whosit

I wish i had started with the Comadore but I started just after that I believe it was a windows and a 283 machine. That is probably wrong it was a while back. Then windows 3.1 (still have the complete setup) I still have and do use the 3.5 high density disks used in the A drive. The old A drive has been thru a couple machines.

Now most not all of my hardware has been replaced with new smaller frame Antec ISK310-150, 16g mem... dual boot... newer knoppix.. just trying to keep up a little... it's moving very fast, playing with latest mist

I see that you use Drake and Heath. I use kenwood and yeh we getting a little older.

KB7MM
whosit
Yeah, I used those drakes in Bermuda in the 70's. Took their test, hence the VP9 call. Had a ball with the test. Not one bloody multiple guess question on it!!! :D:D and 1 minute of solid copy at 13wpm. Yeah, I know that the code is not for everyone, but I have had many a long qso with my trusty straight key.;);). Welcome to the group OM, and you too atanere. Long time no hear from mate! I have some Kenwood gear off to the left side of the desk (TM731A). I used to work,part time, for Heathkit back in the day, what fun that was!
Paul
VP9KS / WA1WJB

KB7MM
whosit
Ah, yes! Those were the "good old days". Monochrome screens, amber or green, and the dos command line. I still have dos 5, and 6.22 (and a couple older versions) in the desk drawer, along with GW-basic etc. I tried booting my dual core up in dos the other day, and had to strain to remember some of the less used commands. It was fun making the config.sys and autoexec.bat files from scratch!:D:D
Paul

Yes they were the good old days. We have seen a lot of changes and it really keeps you reading just trying to be some what in the know .

Jim,
I'm with you on that, mate. Back in the day, I worked for Verbatim, maintaining the 3.5 inch floppy disk duplication and certification robots and electronics. When Mitsubishi suddenly decided to sell all the Verbatim manufacturing facilities to a company in Taiwan, o_OI had to install the machines in their plants, and train their techs to do my job.:(:( That was back in 1998, then I moved on to greener pastures.:D:D I work on much more complex robotics now, and the pay is much better too! I install all the new equipment, and we've had a bunch of it come in during the last 2 years. I am a Senior Engineer now, and train all the newbies when they start. It's fun!!:p:p 3.? more years, and I can retire!:eek::eek: Then what will I do with all that spare time?;);) I'm sure the XYL will find something for me to do, she always does!

As far as CGA goes, when I first ventured from the commodore world, into the IBM clone world, (back in ot 4, remember?) I was using a 4.77MHZ 8088 and the monitor that I had used with my Commodore 128. It worked just fine for CGA graphics for a long time. Later I pulled the 8088 cpu and dropped a NEC V20 in it's place, and got a 8% increase in processing speed. Yeah, baby running with the big dogs now!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Seriously though, I am reading a lot about APRS, and still trying to get MULTIPSK to behave in Linux. I got it to run in Puppy, using wine, but it filled up my "personal space" faster than you could blink. I am trying to get it to work in Mint Cinnamon, again using wine, but don't seem to be having much luck so far. Oh, well, I guess we all need our pet projects!
Paul

Members online