Hello, New to it All

K

KHLVH1

My name Is Keith, but I go by KHLVH1. total noob here, but willing to learn recently spent some time at a party talking to a group of computer techie's and I told them that I was very interested in learning the software end of things as I am at the moment into building computers from scratch, but only have the most basic of skills in programming.Several of them suggested that i learn Linux, So here I am. Anyone willing to take a 49 year old fledgling under there wing is more than welcome to, I have an I.Q of 142, not low not that high a little above average. And that's with only an 8th grade education & 3 semesters in college. So if anyone is looking to help, I''ll gladly take it!

Hi Keith, and welcome. You don't need to be a programmer to use Linux, unless that is what you want to do. I'm not a programmer myself so I can't help with that. There are many different "distributions" or "distros" that each give a different Linux experience. I usually think it's best to download some of the ISO's and make some live DVDs to play with for a bit before you get too committed. Live DVDs (or USB drives) run a little slower than a full installation, but they don't make any changes to your computer.

Some of the distros are geared more toward older hardware that might be a little shy of RAM, and others are the latest-greatest and can usually install on just about any late model hardware. Sometimes there are problems with getting the video adaptor to work properly. If you want to use a relatively newer computer, you may run into trouble with the "UEFI" (which is the replacement for BIOS) but that can usually be overcome too.

So, jump in! Try something out, or tell us what you want to do next.

Cheers!

Ciao Keith,
As Atanere said, welcome to the group. You'll find a wide range of experience among the membership here. Feel free to go walkabout, but most of all remember to have fun. There are a lot of articles here, from basic stuff, all the way up to the more advanced stuff. It seems as if there are as many distros as there are stars in the sky, and everyone has their favorite. Every time I think I have heard of all of them, another one pops into view. It's like a buffet. Ready, set, let the learning begin!!:):)

Latest posts