Have you backed up your server lately? Or PC?

truckerDave

Reaction score
Credits
Learn from how my day is going. My server (older PC) just crashed. Hard. I am lucky though. It was just recently set up with Linux and didn't really have anything of value stored on it yet. Now it just sits there and powers up and shuts down 2 seconds later. Over and over. I've disconnected the drives. So, that leaves the power supply, motherboard or processor. Or possibly the battery. No matter. It served a pretty long life.

Go do a back up on your server(s). Run a timeshift on your PC. Don't be like me :)

That begs the question ... When I get a new machine, what problems (if any) will I possibly have if I slap this hard drive into it and start it up? I know on a Winblows machine it would be a nightmare.

by now you should know me, both the desktop and laptop back up daily [timeshift] and important files/folders transferred to ext storage drive every day.
As we keep saying, make friends with timeshift [or similar] it will save you many a heartache,

yes provided it is compatible you can move a working Linux SSD/HDD/USB to any machine and it should work, you may need to change such things as graphic drivers, wi-fi drivers & sound, but it should basically work

by now you should know me,
I won't say I know you yet. But I'm getting there. You, Sir, have been a tremendous help thus far. Thank you!
yes provided it is compatible you can move a working Linux SSD/HDD/USB to any machine and it should work, you may need to change such things as graphic drivers, wi-fi drivers & sound, but it should basically work
I was thinking (more like hoping) that would be the case. After all, this ain't Windows! Thanks for reducing the worry.

When I do a clean install of Mint Cinnamon and all my Customising eg Settings...Web Browsers...Software...Files...Printer/Scanner...VMs and other things...I certainly don't want to do it all over again because something happened that can't be fixed or spend days...weeks trying to find a solution.
m1511.gif

So I create an Image of the whole Drive with Foxclone...should anything happen and that includes System failure... Drive failure...it's a simple matter to put the image back with nothing lost.

All you need is the Foxclone ISO burnt to a Flash Drive with Etcher and an External HDD or SSD.
m1211.gif

Web Site is here...https://foxclone.org/

User guide is here...https://foxclone.org/uguide.html

Foxclone was written by a guy in the UK and is totally free and it works very well...you can also Clone one Drive to another...I've been using Foxclone for over 6 years and it's never let me down...I create an image every 6 weeks or so but as always the choice is yours.
m1213.gif

Members online