Guidance, please

sundug

Reaction score
Credits
I'd like to install some Linux program in my old, slow 32 bit Acer Aspire 9410-2597 with Win 7. I am new to Linux and not up on a lot of the terminology. I downloaded Mint with my slow satellite connection, but mistakenly chose 64 bit. Will this run in my laptop? It shows several different files-casper, isolinux, .disk, dists, pool, boot, EFI, and preseed. I've tried opening all of them, but nothing installs. Please advise, is Mint my best choice? Does someone here sell flashdrives with Linux on them? Thanks, sundug

64 bit will not work on a 32 bit computer. (32 bit will work on a 64 bit computer.)

Linux Mint is good for beginners.

Buy a flashdrive from eBay?

I'd like to install some Linux program in my old, slow 32 bit Acer Aspire 9410-2597 with Win 7. I am new to Linux and not up on a lot of the terminology. I downloaded Mint with my slow satellite connection, but mistakenly chose 64 bit. Will this run in my laptop? It shows several different files-casper, isolinux, .disk, dists, pool, boot, EFI, and preseed. I've tried opening all of them, but nothing installs. Please advise, is Mint my best choice? Does someone here sell flashdrives with Linux on them? Thanks, sundug
Exactly what file did you download? Is it an .iso? If the file is an .iso image of an installation disk you can copy it to a usb thumb drive or optical disc and install Linux Mint from there (the 32 bit version). Those files you mentioned all go together to make an installation and boot disk.

Are you thinking of *replacing* the Win 7 or using Linux Mint alongside of the Win 7 operating system?

Exactly what file did you download? Is it an .iso? If the file is an .iso image of an installation disk you can copy it to a usb thumb drive or optical disc and install Linux Mint from there (the 32 bit version). Those files you mentioned all go together to make an installation and boot disk.

Are you thinking of *replacing* the Win 7 or using Linux Mint alongside of the Win 7 operating system?
Yes, iso file, I unzipped it to downloads. I now know I need to download the 32 bit, I'll try tonite, as my satellite connection is slow and limited during the day. I will eliminate Win7 as it's no longer supported, runs really slow. I have added RAM and cleaned up duplicate files, reduced GB in storage, but it still runs slow. Can I save files if I replace Win7? Thank you !

Eatch the OP on to either a usb or sd card. Reboot to read usb or sd in your bios, and install what linux op you choose.

"Eatch" I figure is a typo? Latch, snatch? OP is Original Program?

Eatch the OP on to either a usb or sd card. Reboot to read usb or sd in your bios, and install what linux op you choose.

Have a read and start your Linux journey.

Yes, iso file, I unzipped it to downloads
Hmmm... generally don't "unzip" the .iso file used for installing Linux. Usually the .iso is one big file and copied to installation media as such.
Can I save files if I replace Win7?
Just to be clear - do you mean save your data files (pictures, documents, downloads, videos, etc.) already in your Win 7?
Yes. Just be sure to make a backup copy before installing Linux. You can then copy the backup files to your new Linux installation. Make a backup, on another disk, of any data you want to save as the Linux installation will wipe out everything on the hard drive if you choose to do a full replacement of the Win 7.

"Eatch" I figure is a typo? Latch, snatch? OP is Original Program?

Just for clarification -

@Daviboy was talking about Etcher, saying to use Etcher to burn the .iso to USB stick.

By OP he means OS - Operating System.

Technically, the OS is known as GNU/Linux. That includes hundreds of individual Distros (Distributions) such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint and so on. These are often loosely called an OS as well.

There are two (2) legitimate uses by computer forums for OP -

1. The Original Poster, that is you @sundug and
2. The OP's first Post, your #1, is also called "the OP".

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz (and welcome to linux.org :))

Just for clarification -

@Daviboy was talking about Etcher, saying to use Etcher to burn the .iso to USB stick.

By OP he means OS - Operating System.

Technically, the OS is known as GNU/Linux. That includes hundreds of individual Distros (Distributions) such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint and so on. These are often loosely called an OS as well.

There are two (2) legitimate uses by computer forums for OP -

1. The Original Poster, that is you @sundug and
2. The OP's first Post, your #1, is also called "the OP".

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz (and welcome to linux.org :))
Yes agree OP was a typo - Davi