Grub rescue

DoesDisMatter

Reaction score
Credits
So, I am in grub rescue, I can't boot into Windows because my BIOS is password locked for some reason, typing ls only shows me the hd0 drive, no partitions, is there any way to boot back into the installation from this point?

i will try SystemRescueCd on wifes Windows10 and see if it can find boot.
I booted rescatux-0.73.iso which has some windows functions i got it to re-install to mbr windows 10.
So you can't access bios due to password lock so can't chnage bios settings - is that what you mean , but if boot from usb is enabled then you can do quite a bit . Look at partitions using gparted etc

Last edited:
Interesting one ; so just to clarify windows doesn't come with grub so it got on system by installing Linux on same HD or ..and you haven't got usb boot enabled so you installed via cd/dvd drive ?

Last edited:
Installed via Wubi, that's why usb boot isn't enabled, you got the rest right, grub booted after my install failed.

@DoesDisMatter
Wubi is the problem, along with the locked BIOS.
Unfortunately, it looks like "All or Nothing" with that BIOS you're unable to unlock.
Maybe this works -- have not tried it!

Ok, so I basically what are my options in this situation, wipe the hard drive externally and try install linux again? Cuz that looks pretty hard to do and I think wiping it would be easier?

Ok, so I basically what are my options in this situation, wipe the hard drive externally and try install linux again? Cuz that looks pretty hard to do and I think wiping it would be easier?
Two unclear questions, OP.
I can't understand what it is you want to do. I can give suggestions, is all.