Solved grub rescue> dilemma

Solved issue

tierralibre

Reaction score
Credits
On a Linux Mint 19.1 PC (formerly, a HP Windows 7 PC, Intel Core i7), I was converting over to Linux Mint 21.3 OS with a downloaded ISO image. This image on a bootable DVD had been used to successfully install the same OS on two old similar HP Windows 7 PCs. The process started without a hitch. Then, this dufus panicked after he chose the option to uninstall, and then re-install 19.1. Having realized that the wrong selection had been chosen, I stupidly stopped the process in mid-stream. The disaster? I have a frozen PC, no 19.1, no 21.3. Here's the message on the screen: "error: unknown filesystem. Entering rescue mode...grub rescue>" followed by a blinking underscore. With the help of other online resources, I thought a solution was at hand for restoration. Using the command "ls" there were a series of "filesystems(?)" listed? Some were "not found," but one was unique with the Message: "Filesystem is ext2." Supposedly, this was where deliverance was to be found. These subsequent commands using the same "filesystem" were used: "set root...," then "set prefix...," then "insmod normal." All was going well until the last command and then the response cancelled me out going forward with the directions. Here is the new error message with that last command: "error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found." Then, it was back to "grub rescue>" Oh, the agony of defeat. Remedies? Thanks.

I can't really help you, but I'll offer what I'd do, and my thoughts.

FYI/Disclaimer: I haven't used Linux Mint in years; and don't even know what installer they're using (it used to be a modified ubiquity from memory, but given Ubuntu has deprecated that code, I'd expect it to be something else; nor or in the very near future). I also don't recall the option you describe in Ubuntu ubiquity installs, thus I maybe missing something critical to your situation.

Firstly I'd not try and boot the system, but what I'd do would largely be based on your "stopped the process in mid-stream". Did you sync all buffers, so your disk was left in a known state after reboot/restart etc; be that via CLI command or just SysRq command to kernel? .. I don't know the answer to this, but I'd likely do the following anyway.

Boot live media and perform file-system checks on your system. Look at what file-systems are involved, as the fsck commands VARY on what file-system you're using, but it's probably you need only use fsck. You can also use a GUI tool too for this, though how to do it will vary on unstated file-system data. If you're using a complicated file-system (BTRFS, ZFS etc) you'll likely understand what I'm talking about here, if you don't [understand] chances are you're using a default such as ext4 which fsck can cope with correctly.

If your file-system checks detected any issues, you may be lucky and find the system boots normally after reboot.

If it didn't reboot; I'd likely return to the live system & explore your system & try and work out the state of the system from there. At this point I'd like to know more details about your install process that was aborted; alas I don't know enough about Linux Mint installs to have useful knowledge here I fear (let alone as to what state & how you aborted your install; if NO PARTITION changes were made during the install; I'd have expected the system to have booted already; if however partition changes were made - you've got a much worse state and maybe should backup your data in this or subsequent live session(s))

FYI: ubiquity installs on Ubuntu allow an easy non-destructive re-install of the system, which maybe what I'd consider.. I've written about it
here though do note I've never attempted this type of install with Linux Mint. Also note this non-destructive re-install is mostly code behind the installer, thus even if Linux Mint uses the now deprecated Ubuntu ubiquity installer, that doesn't mean it'll work as it does in Ubuntu.

Last edited:
G'day tierralibre, Welcome to Linux.org

I was undecided whether to put a 'like' against your thread up above....or a laugh !....you poor bloke !! you are really in the wars !!!

Commiserations. We will get you sorted out, somehow.

Hi will it boot to the Live DVD?

First, a sincere thank you for the generosity of your time and empathy. The following questions and responses to your input will certainly reveal the level of my ignorance. Your forbearance is appreciated.
guiverc: "Boot live media and perform file-system checks on your system." Not sure how to perform the file-system checks. "what file-system you're using" Does the message, "Filesystem is ext2", which resulted from combining "ls" command to check list of filesystems help? Does it give you any helpful insight as to my filesystem? "more details about your install process that was aborted" Panic occurred relatively moments after the wrong option clicked and the "plug was pulled" So what happened in that short interval, it's your guess. If it helps, there is not data on PC that needs to be saved, retrieved or protected. Repeat of attempts to reboot with liveDVD result in the same error message. "GUI tool" still a possible helpful option?
kc1di: My attempt to use the same proven bootable DVD ISO copy of Linux Mint 21.3 brings me to the same error message ending in "grub rescue>"
Condobloke: A sympathetic smile/laugh with a word of hope from Down Under appreciated.
Again, thanks to all.

formerly, a HP Windows 7 PC, Intel Core i7)
Hi welcome, it would help if we knew exactly which model an age of HP, [there have been a few that recently have been causing an array of problems.
I stupidly stopped the process in mid-stream.

OOPS... if it were me if there is anything on the hard-drive [files Picts, folders, music & Etc] you wish to keep then save to an external drive using a "Live usb pen-drive, and re-install from scratch.
Filesystem is ext2.
this is strange as Mint usually will install as the more secure ext 4.

Thanks for weighing in. So, the HP dates to 2011. Also, there is nothing that needs to be saved or backed up.

Being of that age, your HP should have UEFI, it won't have secure boot or safe boot, I have a slightly newer Prodesk which quite happily runs mint LMDE, and in the past ran mint 19. I had to enter the UEFI and enable usb boot, another option may be try legacy boot.

Dearest brethren, i.e. you folks who saw my post and endeavored to come to my aid:
You choose the reason for my "problem solved:" dumb luck, or by hook or by crook
So, here's what happened. Awaiting definite directions for a fix, I decided to do an F10 on start up to do a system check in BIOS. This was for the hard disc and then a memory test. Since both had passed before the snafu, I wanted to see if this was the case now. Both tests passed again. On a lark, I then went to F9 to change my primary boot order again to access the DVD ISO. Viola, the previously proven DVD ISO fired right up and now Linux is loaded where it needs to be.
Again, a sincere thank you to all the contributors. Your time and efforts were much appreciated.

G'day @tierralibre and welcome to linux.org from another Aussie :)

If you are happy that your problem is solved, you can return to your first Post and edit it as such.

nYSKHvh.png

Enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online