Grub Customizer and Bleachbit - system wreckers ?

Reaction score
Credits
You will find them referred to in that way on many forums .

I noticed an earlier post today from a new member , indicating that Grub Customizer may have caused
boot problems .

For anyone relatively new to Linux ( and even experienced but non-geeky users ) I would offer this advice :-

Stay away from Grub Customizer and Bleachbit , and avoid installing any AV ( eg Clam , Bitdefender for Linux )

In the case of the first two , the GUI shows many options ( check boxes ) , and unless the user understands
each and EVERY option , I recommend not using those app at all .

As for installing an AV , it simply isn't necessary or even helpful In Linux .
Sure , they will function , but they may simply bomb you with baffling false positives ....
.... rkhunter is a classic example .

It seems to me that the people look for these types of app are usually "dyed in the wool " Windows users
and haven't fully grasped just how different Linux systems are compared with those from MS .

Clearly this is a personal opinion and I welcome all discussion and comments ....
.... just my two kurus worth !

My 2¢ worth.

I've never used 'GRUB Customizer' so I can't speak to that. But I have used Bleachbit for a long time and never had any problem with it.

I think you hit the nail right on the head with this, <quote>...the GUI shows many options ( check boxes ) , and unless the user understands each and EVERY option...</quote> .

Users just need to pay attention, read and follow the directions, be patient, read before clicking,etc., etc.
(Yeah right! - like that'll ever happen!) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is a tendency among many pc users to 'fix' or 'clean out' or 'make faster' or 'return to original' ....their PC....

Great sentiment where the latest windows offering is concerned......You only have to read a few of the forums dedicated to win 10 etc to realise the problems that are inherent in having that pos on your pc.

Seemingly because of those inherent problems, slow updates, problematic updates, pc's reduced to paperweights seemingly because of an update 'gone wrong', bsod's, software malfunctions, hardware malfunctions etc etc, ad nauseum, .......a great number of the owners resort to all sorts of crap and witchcraft to attempt to straighten out their expensive piece of junk. A great number succeed. An even greater number do not...throw their hands in the air and succumb to whatever drivel msft cares to pump out next. They have zero control. They know it, they 'learn' to accept it. They pray to every available deity that the rotten pc will just do the right thing until their spouse has finished playing solitaire/facebook or until little johnny has finished playing whatever game he/she is playing or until they have finally thrashed out some tome on msft office for their school project. The strain of holding ones breath for that long can have severe consequences. There has to be a God !....right ..??

There is.

Its name is Linux. It comes in as many different forms , shapes ,sizes etc etc etc...as the entire nations could ever wish for.

Shown just a little kindness and true love, it will just keep on keeping on for years.....add infinitum.

Everyone relaxes. Breath holding becomes a thing of the past. Consequences involved in holding that breath become a distant memory.

SO....'a little kindness'....and some 'true love'.....means 1 of two things

1. Leave it the ****alone

or

2. Have the kindness of heart to have a good working relationship with a trusted backup....eg Timeshift, Clonezilla, Backup, etc etc.......so that if you succumb to playing with the devil (bleachbit , grub customizers etc) then there will be a simple way to breath life back into that which breathes life into you and yours. Linux. What's not to Like ?

So....the topic.....System Wreckers ?.......yes quite possibly....or in fact very likely in either the 'wrong hands' or just the pair of hands which forgets for an instant, just exactly what they are clicking on.....

We must always have the software that is FREE to the true believers in place and set to take care of us.

Only then can system wreckers be put in their rightful place.
On Win 10

Hey Socko, don't know if you have read this -

https://www.linux.org/threads/re-ordering-boot-menu.20130/#post-59725

Cheers

Wiz

I agree , Grub Customizer is OK for adding a background and editing the displayed boot options ,
but I've never wanted any of the other features , and wouldn't implicitly trust them

No , I hadn't seen your post that you linked to , but I seem to have come to the same conclusions ....
.... I guess I must be septic ( or is it psychotic ?)
:D

No, it's paraplegic, as opposed to paranormal

Wiz

I noticed an earlier post today from a new member , indicating that Grub Customizer may have caused
boot problems .
I've been using grub-customizer (GC) for nearly 2 years already and never had a single problem with boot. The only ways it could cause some problems, altough not always, are incorrect usage of the program and if the user tried to overwrite grub2 with GC. GC's older versions don't support grub2.

That's interesting input, thanks @rado84 :)

If you only run a couple of Linux with it, perhaps not so tedious a problem.

Wizard

@wizardfromoz , no. At first I was dual booting with Windows but a few days ago I kicked its arse and now it's a single boot of Mint.

I just noticed the first post also mentions BleachBit. That's another program that never caused any problems for me - mostly because I read the description of every checkbox and select only those I know won't cause problems with the system.

Members online