Getting started with linux

Boss.Hackwell

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, i've just recently started my journey in linux (some few months back), i learned some basic stuffs and did some practicals, but when i tried to take like an exercise, i couldn't answer most of the questions. I feel like i'm not trying enough, and by the way I read alot.
so any advice or tips for me to excel in my studies.

try tutorials on forums or maybe even a free course such as Intro to Linux on Edx

The best way to learn Linux is to play with it, break it, and have to fix it, that way it stays in your mind,
we have a lot of tutorials on this board, and our sister site linux-tips.us has many more short articles and tutorials [most are simpler for the beginner]

Welcome, yes, use the command line for as much as you can, that's how I started, (in fact, there was no GUI back when I started ;) ).

Welcome, yes, use the command line for as much as you can, that's how I started, (in fact, there was no GUI back when I started ;) ).
X was released in 1984, so that's a long time ago.

X was released in 1984, so that's a long time ago.
Well, not that old, but I did start on DOS, then Zipslack8, RedHat 4.2, & 5.0, quickly followed by Debian 2.2 (Potato, I think), & there weren't any GUIs on any of them floppies or CDs..... ;)

One of the most awesome and best features of Linux is that you can put it on a usb stick and boot it on nearly any computer. So do just that. Boot it, fiddle with all you encounter for an hour or two. By the end of it you will have learned a lot. Just try not to delete anything on the existing operating system if any :p

Learning by doing is a good method for the beginning, the safest way would be to start with a live system from a USB-stick. Once you've gathered enough information for a full installation, you can start preparing your storage device and then set up your system. Once you're through with that, getting to grips with the terminal can be very helpful. Learn some of the standard procedures and take notes on all the important commands. Use a thin binder solely for this purpose and only use pencil and crayons for this, then you can also make edits and erase if necessary. That's how I did it back then and I still use my Linux folder with the ever-growing beautifully written notes! :D

Members online

Latest posts