Getting rid of a wine prefix on PoP!_os

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
I won't dilly dally too much with the details, I just want to inquire about the terminal command to remove a wine prefix that I made with custom parameters to the path of where said game is installed.

I did in the past to get more stable performance, but now compatibility is vastly improved and "forcing" the game to run under my custom parameters is adversely affecting performance.

I would like to note that both winetricks and protontricks are refusing to launch in UI mode, most likely being a pop_os thing, so mashing my keyboard in the terminal window is the only option.

JasKinasis

Reaction score
Credits
I usually answer the terminal/bash based questions. Unfortunately, I’ve never used WINE, so I don’t know very much about how/where it stores your "prefixes".

If a program doesn’t run natively in Linux, I simply don’t use it. But that’s just me! Ha ha!

But a quick bit of DuckDuckGo-fu yielded this:

Which lead to this:

Which hopefully should help.
Looks like it’s just a case of removing the directories containing your prefixes.
Or perhaps take a look inside those directories and remove any files that pertain to the specific prefix/application that you want to remove?!

There are a bunch of other users here who do use WINE and might know a bit more about it. I won’t tag anybody. But somebody will inevitably chip in at some point, if I’m barking up the wrong tree!

OP
B

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
So if I'm reading this correctly, there is a hidden .wine folder inside where I placed the prefix?

OP
B

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
I don't want to uninstall a whole wine program, I just want to remove a wine prefix on a steam game.
Here is a copy of the command I used:
WINEPREFIX="steam/directory/here/pfx" winetricks --force -q dotnet48 vcrun2015 faudio d3dcompiler_47
I need to undo it, remove it, whatever the official parliament is here.

Lord Boltar

Reaction score
Credits
The wine uninstaller command only removes programs that have been installed into wine not wine itself
Type in a terminal or press Alt+F2 and type wine uninstaller will give you access to the built in Add/Remove tool from wine. From there you can uninstall a program you have installed in a bottle.

To completely remove the bottle for your user (and thus remove everything from a wine bottle and start again) you can open a terminal and type rm -rf ~/.wine or as an alternative open File Manager and in your home folder press Ctrl+H, locate the .wine folder and delete it. wine will create a new folder next time you try to use it.

see here - https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=29962

Last edited:
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online

Latest posts