• Important: We recently upgraded our forum software - please let us know if you run into any issues.

Getting hardware information from Linux to help forum staff

atanere

Gold Supporter

Hi Shailendra, Just wanted to see if you could help a real greenie! I went to the i-nex site and selected for download the one for Mint(sylvia). I cant find anythig that gives instruction on how to download. Can you help?
Hi Dennis. You might want to watch the dates that are shown at the bottom of each post... the quote from Shailendra Patel that you referenced is 4 years old, so a response from that user was pretty questionable.

But to answer your question about i-nex, their instructions for installing on Linux Mint are on this page.... it is 4 commands that you must enter into your terminal, one-at-a-time (in order). You should copy/paste these commands so that you do not make any mistakes. When finished, it will provide a new menu launch item in the System Tools category. It is a pretty nice application that provides a lot of information about your system.

By the way, CONTROL-ALT-T is an easy shortcut to open up a new Terminal.

Cheers

Dennis Burge

Hi Dennis. You might want to watch the dates that are shown at the bottom of each post... the quote from Shailendra Patel that you referenced is 4 years old, so a response from that user was pretty questionable.

But to answer your question about i-nex, their instructions for installing on Linux Mint are on this page.... it is 4 commands that you must enter into your terminal, one-at-a-time (in order). You should copy/paste these commands so that you do not make any mistakes. When finished, it will provide a new menu launch item in the System Tools category. It is a pretty nice application that provides a lot of information about your system.

By the way, CONTROL-ALT-T is an easy shortcut to open up a new Terminal.

Cheers
Fell like an old man learning new stuff. Oops, I am. Again thanks

rado84

A big thank you to the OP - I've been looking for a CPU-Z equivalent for quite some time with no luck.

fixit7

Hello everyone,

I don't think this should be in the forum assistance or forum announcements..so I put it here.

When seeking help on the forum, providing hardware specifications can be the key to solving problems. With this post I hope to show some basic commands and tools to help everyone do that.

My first program is a newcomer that I saw on LAS (Linux action show, jupiterbroadcasting.com)

• I-Nex. This program is the GNU/Linux equivalent to CPU-Z from Windows. It provides an easy to use interface and can generate reports that users can upload to sites like postbin. I recommend using this tool to make hardware reports and attaching them to your posts here at linux.org home page: http://i-nex.linux.pl/ View attachment 1327The second Tool I want to mention is LSHW. LSHW (LiSt HardWare) is a commandline/graphical tool that gives just as much information as I-Nex. The difference being comandline support. View attachment 1328
  • Lastly I am going to mention good old lspci. List PCI is a program that will list all the pci devices on a computer. When using it in a general way, lspci will only name the PCI devices and the device ID. To get more detailed information on a PCI device, you can use the following:
    Code:
    lspci -v -s ID
    for AGP devices, you can use lsagp in the same fashion.
If anyone else knows of some good hardware information listing software, pleas post them. Remember, this post is to show how anyone can get basic hardware information with GNU/Linux. Please list your hardware when asking for help in the forums.

Had some problems trying to install i-nex.
Installing from Launchpad PPA

Daily PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:i-nex-development-team/daily

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3

: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/i-nex-development-team/daily/ubuntu bionic Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install i-nex

I got this with the last command.

sudo apt-get install i-nex
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package i-nex

Members online

No members online now.