Funny meme

sudo-antivirus-reliable_EN.png

This prompted me to find the answer to one of the multitude of questions I have about Linux.

Sudo
Super User DO

I have a better understanding now why Linux is so much more secure.

Thank you!
Sudo isn't the only reason. One person writes a virus for linux, 100 others from the community dismantle that virus and write a security patch in the kernel against it, sometimes literally within a few hours. That's a lost battle before it has even started, that's why nobody bothers writing viruses for the regular user computers, they only target servers and even there certain conditions must be met for the virus to have an effect.

There's a meme about linux viruses:

linux-virus.png

This prompted me to find the answer to one of the multitude of questions I have about Linux.

Sudo
Super User DO

I have a better understanding now why Linux is so much more secure.

Thank you!

That's the essence of it, though it would be more accurate to think of it as "Switch User DO". You can (assuming you have the authority) switch to to any user ID then "do" something. If you don't specify another user, the default is to switch to "root". We often say "superuser" when referring to "root", I guess because it's kind of descriptive.

Here is the help text for the busybox version of su, which might include only a subset of the functionality of the stand-alone su:

Code:
tc@dolly:~$ su --help
BusyBox v1.36.1 (2024-01-28 10:21:18 UTC) multi-call binary.

Usage: su [-lmp] [-s SH] [-] [USER [FILE ARGS | -c 'CMD' [ARG0 ARGS]]]

Run shell under USER (by default, root)

-,-l    Clear environment, go to home dir, run shell as login shell
        -p,-m   Do not set new $HOME, $SHELL, $USER, $LOGNAME
        -c CMD  Command to pass to 'sh -c'
        -s SH   Shell to use instead of user's default
tc@dolly:~$

The use of sudo, with a properly configured "sudoers" file, means that one never needs to "log in" as root, which theoretically enhances security. At the very least, it makes it really unlikely that one will inadvertently do something wildly non-secure like running a web browser as root.

xkcd.com cartoon about sudo

I suppose "sudo -u MikeRocor -c make me a sandwich" would get me a sandwich made just the way -I- like it. :)

An old one but funny.
1715831458648.png

Members online

Latest posts