Fresh Installation: Debian 12 Gnome PKG MGR Issues <SOLVED>

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
After a fresh installation of Debian 12 Gnome the Software MGR install's programs but they don't launch.

Shutter installed but won't launch. So I uninstalled it via the Software MGR and then used Synaptic to install it and rebooted.
Still no dice.

Here's what the command-line shows when trying to launch it:
Code:
GLib-CRITICAL **: g_variant_type_copy: assertion 'g_variant_type_check (type)' failed at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 67, <DATA> line 19.
 at /usr/bin/shutter line 429, <DATA> line 19.
    Shutter::App::STARTUP(Shutter::App=HASH(0x55fcb486b5c8)) called at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.36/Glib/Object/Introspection.pm line 67
    Glib::Object::Introspection::__ANON__(Shutter::App=HASH(0x55fcb486b5c8)) called at /usr/bin/shutter line 10943

INFO: gathering system information...

Linux debian-box 6.1.0-13-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.55-1 (2023-09-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Debian GNU/Linux 12 \n \l

Glib 1.3293
Gtk3 0.038

Glib built for 2.74.0, running with 2.74.6

(shutter:4238): Wnck-WARNING **: 22:32:39.542: libwnck is designed to work in X11 only, no valid display found
Segmentation fault

There's a lot more output from running 'shutter' in the terminal about Glib Critical: too much text to paste, unless you really need it....let me know.

Do I need to switch to X11 rather than Wayland?

Do I need to switch to X11 rather than Wayland?

Alex I don't use Wayland but it appears from Github and other sources to have been an issue reported at least as far back as June 2020, and resolved by switching to X11

Cheers

Wiz

BTW let us know how you go.

This confirms Wayland is being used, if I'm not mistaken.

Code:
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland

Alex I don't use Wayland but it appears from Github and other sources to have been an issue reported at least as far back as June 2020, and resolved by switching to X11

Cheers

Wiz

BTW let us know how you go.
Thanks! I'll keep looking as I'm not sure how to fix the issue.

After reading through this article it sounds like X11 support in Gnome has been dropped.

Switching from Wayland to X11 doesn't change anything, sadly:-
Logging out and logging back in again and selecting the Gnome Xorg session doesn't help. The Shutter app doesn't launch from the applications menu. It only launches via the terminal.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Check and make sure the menu entry is using the same launch command as your using in the terminal.

bro, i am a lazy man, and instead of diagnosing it, can you please try installing garuda gnome version, if that works out just fine you may like it anyhow, it is designed for ease of use and its really fast, use belena etcher to make the usb

Check and make sure the menu entry is using the same launch command as your using in the terminal.
Do you mean the menu entry drop down menu at log in?

After installing the Cinnamon DE Shutter launches without fail.:)
Other applications (that I just installed via the Software MGR) since installing the Cinnamon DE now launch as well.

It looks like runtime lib's and other pkg's : along with a boat load of Glib Critical errors under the Gnome DE using Wayland are missing or broken. Furthermore, switching to X11 under Gnome doesn't provide a initialization for any installed apps to launch.
Also, I discovered that the /etc/gdm3/custom.conf file does not exist. Having said that, there is no way to make the argument in that config file that controls Wayland to equal=false.

I'd like to be able to use the Gnome DE however, Cinnamon is working for now. I'm not sure how to fix the Gnome issue. Any ideas are appreciated.

bro, i am a lazy man, and instead of diagnosing it, can you please try installing garuda gnome version, if that works out just fine you may like it anyhow, it is designed for ease of use and its really fast, use belena etcher to make the usb
Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm not fond of rolling releases:-

main reasons to avoid lts distros, you have modern hardware, or you built it yourself, also hardware compatibility is highly based on which kernel you use, im on 6.6 so yeah, i will be honest and admit an update yesterday broke my wifi, but it was caused by kde connect which i removed and now all is well, in worst case scenario if it is "bricked" you just choose timeshift during boot and pick an older restore point, staying on a kernel that is five years old and trying to use new stuff with it is just silly, those LTS kernels are designed to be used by professionals who cant afford to lose data, for everyday use they are worthless

xwayland should make it possible to run apps that rely on xorg rather than wayland.
It mostly works on the new rpios Bookworm.

xwayland should make it possible to run apps that rely on xorg rather than wayland.
It mostly works on the new rpios Bookworm.
Any ideas on why apps aren't launching under xorg?

Installing the Cinnamon DE has went very well.
In fact I'm pleased with what I now have.:)

Downloading a handful of various themes and cursor themes from cinnamon-look.org website has paid off well.

Gimp, Shutter and other programs launch flawlessly!

When time permits I'll head over to my Linux Blog and create a full tutorial of this installation and the changes that were made.

Attachments

• Cal.png
    Cal.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 128
  • Downloads Dir.png_001.png
    Downloads Dir.png_001.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Cat.png
    Cat.png
    810.7 KB · Views: 100
  • PC Gimp.png
    PC Gimp.png