Fresh Install

Animator

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone, Have been using Mint Uma now for about 6 months in dual boot mode with Win 10 , working perfectly - then I saw Garuda ! so I started to install the dragonized version and yes you guessed it .... I installed it over Win 10 instead of Mint - Although I like Mint there are some programs that will only run on Windows - so I thought I would start a fresh install - reinstalling Win 10 then Garuda. But when I try to install Win 10 it does not detect any hard drives , - So I still have Mint working dual booted with Garuda (not working) and want to start a fresh clean install ! So I,m thinking is there a way to re format my drives from Mint and start again? My machine is a Dell inspiron 7706 , i7 laptop with two Nvme drives - Thanks in advance.

were mint & windows on different drives?
if so re-format the windows drive to ntfs before you re-install [make sure you choose the right drive] [do you not have a windows rescue disc?

were mint & windows on different drives?
if so re-format the windows drive to ntfs before you re-install [make sure you choose the right drive] [do you not have a windows rescue disc?
No they're on the same disk and I do have the installation disc but no drives are detected

Hi everyone, Have been using Mint Uma now for about 6 months in dual boot mode with Win 10 , working perfectly - then I saw Garuda ! so I started to install the dragonized version and yes you guessed it .... I installed it over Win 10 instead of Mint - Although I like Mint there are some programs that will only run on Windows - so I thought I would start a fresh install - reinstalling Win 10 then Garuda. But when I try to install Win 10 it does not detect any hard drives , - So I still have Mint working dual booted with Garuda (not working) and want to start a fresh clean install ! So I,m thinking is there a way to re format my drives from Mint and start again? My machine is a Dell inspiron 7706 , i7 laptop with two Nvme drives - Thanks in advance.
The problem comes in that the partition manager will not partition a drive that is being used. the best you can do at this point is use the mint's live usb and go to gparted which should be on the live version and reparation the drive which will mean you will loose mint as well (so do back up any important files to a usb stick, cloud storage or some other off computer method) then delete the current partitions and reparation the drive. Make a windows partition and format it to NTFS and make a Linux partition and format it to Ext4. Then reinstall windows first (windows like to be on front of the disc, so make the first partition for windows.) and mint or whatever distro you choose next. You will most likely need an un-formatted boot partition of about 100 or 200 MBs. for eufi boot. Make sure when installing linux distro you choose the correct partion not the window one. Good luck.

The problem comes in that the partition manager will not partition a drive that is being used. the best you can do at this point is use the mint's live usb and go to gparted which should be on the live version and reparation the drive which will mean you will loose mint as well (so do back up any important files to a usb stick, cloud storage or some other off computer method) then delete the current partitions and reparation the drive. Make a windows partition and format it to NTFS and make a Linux partition and format it to Ext4. Then reinstall windows first (windows like to be on front of the disc, so make the first partition for windows.) and mint or whatever distro you choose next. You will most likely need an un-formatted boot partition of about 100 or 200 MBs. for eufi boot. Make sure when installing linux distro you choose the correct partion not the window one. Good luck.

Exactly this^^

I had this happen to me too, I had to completely delete all the partitions from my hard drives so that it has no Linux or Windows installed, and then Install Windows first and Linux second.

I also highly recommend that you use separate drives for Windows and Linux instead of putting both installs on the same disk.

Thanks for your responses, I have now put Gparted on a USB, but when I boot into it and select - live default settings - nothing happens? it just freezes.

Hi, sorry I've done some digging and found that I have a single Optane H10 drive and not two separate drives! I think the problem might be with drivers for this.

Hi, sorry I've done some digging and found that I have a single Optane H10 drive and not two separate drives! I think the problem might be with drivers for this.

If you have a single drive, you’ll need to wipe it first. Then install Windows but not on the entire disk, instead just split the disk into multiple partitions. Then once Windows is installed, install Linux on the other partition.

If you can get a second drive, I’d recommend you do this instead. That way you can easily wipe a disk without accidentally deleting the wrong partition.

Of course even with two disks if you don’t pay attention, you can make mistakes, but at least you can see the different partition types like NTFS and EXT4/btrfs

Staff online

Members online