FORUM GUIDELINES (inofficial rules) ON USING LLMs TO ANSWER QUESTIONS

As many are aware, I’m new to the moderator position here. AFAIK, there are no actual rules regarding the use of AI/LLMs here ATM.

The accuracy of an AIs output is always going to depend entirely on the quality of the material used to train it. Any biases, or inaccuracies in the training material could lead to the generation of articles containing biased and/or incorrect/false information.

My personal thoughts on the topic are as follows:
Despite being a professional programmer, I’m a bit of a Luddite. I don’t trust AI at all ATM. I think it’s better to put things into your own words. But practically speaking, use whatever works for you.

If you’re going to use an AI to generate an article, or an answer to a question here, you really need to know the topic AND carefully read through and check the accuracy of the entire article before posting it, to ensure that all of the information is correct. Making any required edits along the way.

So, if you know the answer to a technical question, but you can’t be bothered to write it all out yourself - I don’t see the harm in attempting to use an AI to write the article for you. As long as you ensure the accuracy of the article before posting it here.

If getting an AI to generate an answer/article AND fact checking and editing it is faster for you than manually composing something - by all means, go ahead and use it.

As long as users ensure the accuracy of all AI generated content AND nobody posts AI generated articles on topics they don’t know anything about, it should be fine.

But if we start getting a large influx of low quality/inaccurate AI generated content, we may need to consider introducing some new rules for AI generated posts.

That’s my two cents!

Ok so to sum up:

1. Understand the Topic: Before using a LLM to generate content, make sure you have a good understanding of the subject matter so you can determine if the LLM generated answer is correct.
2. Review and Edit Before Posting: Always read through LLM-generated content carefully to check for accuracy. Make any necessary corrections before posting.
3. LLM Declaration: Declare that the answer as LLM generated.

Ok so to sum up:

1. Understand the Topic: Before using a LLM to generate content, make sure you have a good understanding of the subject matter so you can determine if the LLM generated answer is correct.
2. Review and Edit Before Posting: Always read through LLM-generated content carefully to check for accuracy. Make any necessary corrections before posting.
3. LLM Declaration: Declare that the answer as LLM generated.
Yes, I think that’s a pretty sensible set of guidelines for AI generated content!

In summary, I would submit that you can certainly make use yourself of an LLM to provide answers to OPs, and if so I would endorse your making it known wherever applied, the source of your information.
I have seen several others and myself do this already several times, so no idea why we would need to ask permission about it if we did it. The people that have done this have also replied further from themselves besides posting that when more explanation was needed.

@f33dm3bits cause I wasnt aware of it and I thought I'd ask before doing so ;)
I have no problem with the discussion, some things are still good to put in an open discussion even there isn't something clear about it yet to everyone :)

cause I wasnt aware of it and I thought I'd ask

"If you have to ask, you will never know. If you know, you need only ask" [JK Rowling]

cause I wasnt aware of it and I thought I'd ask before doing so ;)
Ok, I want to stop you right there.
First I want to say that, I don't know what kind of LLM you are using because I read the hole content fast
and I'm lazy to do it again. So no matter what LLM or ChatGPT or whatever robot... you might have and use
came from Sam Altman's OpenAI, right?

To train that robot Sam Altman and the others needed a training ground and later came micro$oft with
the "playing ground" aka Microsoft's Azure(correct me if my intuition is wrong).
There is where the damage has been done.
Just watch this... more info about all of it.

If you are running your own robot, meaning with your own resources, that's fine...I guess
But think about this forum...people who ask or asked questions, active members, do you think that they want an answer from a robot ?
Hmm... I don't
Is nice to have a Linux Consultant, but "the GPT thing" will(if not already) hurt your reputation, and in the worse scenario will bring a lot of suspicions.. that you might not be a geek after all.

For now.

Like the Disabled One is... I like how "the new" Freestyler looks and feels.
"Don't take yourself too damn seriously!" will say Sherri is a Cat to me... o_O:)

Members online