Finding install on multi-partitioned drive to backup (Timeshift)

zPuppy

Reaction score
Credits
Hiya peeps

I have installed zorin os on my 1TB drive, which previously had windows, ubuntu, and a few other failed zorin installs. The drive looks like this GParted image below...

20221222_133839.jpg

So, looking at the GParted sandwich above I know that windows is the mouldy stale bread (sda2 and sda4) and the filling in the middle is the various flavours of linux, one of which is my current zorin os install. I want to throw out the bloaty carbohydrate windows bread for good, however I really need to do a Timeshift backup of my zorin os first yet I cannot figure out if the live version (and maybe boot file) is on /dev/sda 5,6,7,8,or 9.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I am a Linux Newbie-ish, but can follow technical advice.

The root for zorin OS most likely either sda5 or sda7 or sda9. And sda9 is labeled as a root.
In Linux,
Code:
inxi -F
will get the info you desire.

If using windows, I cannot say.

Thanks forester, top advice. here is the drive output from terminal;

Drives:
Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 10.18 GiB (1.1%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EADS-22M2B0
size: 931.51 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 15.62 GiB used: 10.18 GiB (65.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda9

This is the only partition information displayed, so presumably my Timeshift backup should be /sda9?
I am glad I checked as the Timeshift prompt selected /sda5 to backup.

Cheers

@zPuppy -- using a LiveCD or Live USB (i.e. ubuntu or puppy) to boot to for exploring partitions is another alterntive. You will want to make certain before deleting any partition.

G'day @zPuppy and welcome to linux.org :)

1. What version of Windows is running?
2. Did you install Timeshift from Zorin's Store or from elsewhere, and do you remember when?

I am glad I checked as the Timeshift prompt selected /sda5 to backup.

That is because /dev/sda9, where your Zorin is, only has 5.43 GiB left, and Zorin takes up 10.6 GiB, so Timeshift went for the nearest partition that had enough space, which is /dev/sda5.

There is likely a snapshot there already, so look in your File Manager for a folder /timeshift or launch your Timeshift and see what it shows (storage partition will show, bottom right corner).

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hiya Chris, thanks for extra info.

Q1) Windows 10 installed on both /sda2 and /sda4, and these have also been used as storage drives when I used windows.
Q2) Zorin installed using either Software Installer or Flatpak install/Flatpak terminal command prompts, in last few days.

Timehsift currently shows 'No snapshots available' as I did not complete the start wizard as was unsure about its choice of /sda5. I have looked at the wizard again and it is titled 'Select Snapshot Location' and selects /sda5.

So I guess 'Select Snapshot Location' means the area it saves the snapshot, as opposed to the partition it creates the mirror from? (aha, reading the Timeshift notes on the wizard seems to suggest that). Anyway, best to confirm first I guess when messing around with drives etc.

It seems I can also select /sda7 which is an ext4, 34GB and has 23GB free.
I am guessing sda5 and sda7 were my previous failed zorin installs, as the first zorin install overwrote my Ubuntu install, however when that failed (WSOD) and reinstalled zorin, it could not overwrite itself, and this happened twice (Oh No type crash) before this working version. Making sense now.

Extra advice much appreciated. ;)

Last edited:
I'll likely have some more next couple of days.

For now, I believe birthday wishes are appropriate.

Have a good one and hope you get two presents. ;)

Wizard

Thank you kindly sir, most gracious of you to acknowledge. Two presents yes, two cards some years, although more often than not I am used to expecting a card with a Christmas Pudding on the front, and Happy Birthday written inside. Currently eating Tangfastics for breakfast. Today I rule!!!

Members online

Latest posts