Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

Fan of Cygwin?

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by forestplay, May 8, 2012.

1. forestplay

forestplay Guest

I'm forced to use a Windows box at work. To give me some Unix command line power, I use Cygwin. Very nice for use when you have no other choice.

-Bob

2. grim76

grim76 Guest

Cygwin is ok and I have used it before when restricted on machines. With the untapped power that most machines have now you might look at running virtualbox or something similar so you can have a linux VM running on your machine. Best of both worlds so to speak.

3. Darwin

Darwin Guest

Using Cygwin most of the time, I am going to try out Grim's advice it seems quite sound.

4. forestplay

forestplay Guest

I second grim's advice regarding virtualbox. I have found it easy to setup and low maintenance.

Also, look for pre-made virtual machines for virtualbox. I have a couple of Turnkey appliances running a webserver and mySQL server. These are setup very well for self-maintaining (support by Turnkey for free or for a fee).

-Bob

5. It feels like I've been using cygwin forever--I think my first installation was under Windows NT 3.51. When I look five years into the future, I think I'm more likely to be running Windows and some version of Linux in a VM.

6. Darwin

Darwin Guest

You are a star :) \O/

7. dale

dale Guest

I have only used it a long, long time ago to get some codes running...

8. forestplay

forestplay Guest

http://www.cygwin.com/

I have never done more than download the setup.exe binary, pick the packages I want and download the binaries. Works well. I use almost exclusively default settings.

-Bob

9. keylogger

keylogger Guest

Cygwin is best and I have used it