Fan of Cygwin?

F

forestplay

I'm forced to use a Windows box at work. To give me some Unix command line power, I use Cygwin. Very nice for use when you have no other choice.

-Bob

Cygwin is ok and I have used it before when restricted on machines. With the untapped power that most machines have now you might look at running virtualbox or something similar so you can have a linux VM running on your machine. Best of both worlds so to speak.

Using Cygwin most of the time, I am going to try out Grim's advice it seems quite sound.

I second grim's advice regarding virtualbox. I have found it easy to setup and low maintenance.

Also, look for pre-made virtual machines for virtualbox. I have a couple of Turnkey appliances running a webserver and mySQL server. These are setup very well for self-maintaining (support by Turnkey for free or for a fee).

-Bob

It feels like I've been using cygwin forever--I think my first installation was under Windows NT 3.51. When I look five years into the future, I think I'm more likely to be running Windows and some version of Linux in a VM.

Cygwin is ok and I have used it before when restricted on machines. With the untapped power that most machines have now you might look at running virtualbox or something similar so you can have a linux VM running on your machine. Best of both worlds so to speak.

You are a star :) \O/

I have only used it a long, long time ago to get some codes running...

Where did you get the executable? If you built it from source, then you will have to do some debugging on your own. If you downloaded a binary, did you download a Cygwin binary? If not, it won't run and you will either have to download the Cygwin binary or build the package from source.

http://www.cygwin.com/

I have never done more than download the setup.exe binary, pick the packages I want and download the binaries. Works well. I use almost exclusively default settings.

-Bob

Members online

Latest posts