Extern dvd installation

Loefe

Reaction score
Credits
I bought an extern DVD/cd player the one you can also use to burn cd/dvd. It can play cd without any problems. but DVD are an other problem. The player doesn t appear and when I try with VLC I got the message : VLC is not able to open MRL dvd:///dev/sr0. I installed all codecs but in vain. And it is a DVD Rom TEAC

Perhaps try plugging the unit into another usb port.
It's possible to test the unit by loading a dvd and then with the mpv program run a command like:
Code:
mpv dvd:// -dvd-device=/dev/sr0
Install mpv if it's absent of course.

VLC is not able to open MRL
Seems a collection of common faults from firewall settings to DRM, search on line ""VLC not able to open MRL""

I use celluloid for playing DVDs...works great. Don't use VLC now...had problems with it.
m1502.gif

Anyway neither VLC nor Celluloid can find the disc when it concerns a dvd. As soon as I place a CD immediatly it pups up and I can play it The external drive is a TEAC DVD Rom player.

Anyway neither VLC nor Celluloid can find the disc when it concerns a dvd. As soon as I place a CD immediatly it pups up and I can play it The external drive is a TEAC DVD Rom player. I installed and downloaded all codecs, I closed the Firewall. All in vain.

sudo apt install libdvd-pkg

sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

As far as I can see, running the two commands above in Terminal should solve the problem

Teac...now there's a name I've not heard or seen for a very long time. :oops:

sudo apt install libdvd-pkg

sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg

As far as I can see, running the two commands above in Terminal should solve the problem
The above installation and configuration will enable the dvd player to play commercial dvds which have been released with the Content Scramble System (CSS), however, it won't help if the dvd player cannot detect the dvd in the first place.

Working dvd players will normally detect the dvd. Then, if they don't have the decoding provided by the libdvd-pkg software, they run it with a blurred or severely distorted screen making viewing of the dvd's content impossible for normal viewing. The case for the OP here is the failure to detect the dvd in the first place as I understand it.

This "failure to detect the dvd" problem is very familiar to me. It may be a software problem, which could be misbehaving "firmware/software" in the dvd player itself, or an actual hardware problem such as the failure to align the laser onto the dvd disk, but since CDs are able to be played, I suspect the "software/firmware".

The way in which I've dealt with it is to replace the dvd player because I wanted a reliable one. Over the last 25 years, I've been through at least one dvd player a year over numerous computers and have tried all sorts of brands. There are lots of no-name brands available, but I learnt to only buy named brands, and not buy the cheapest of them.

Edit: I have assumed in the above that the basic dvd software is installed, i.e. libdvdnav and libdvdread. If they aren't installed, it's possible they have been implicated in dvds not being seen.

Last edited:
I have external USB Blu-Ray players. ( CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burner) LG and Pioneer.
The LG was fairly cheap, less than $35.00 at Wal*Mart. The Pioneer was quite a bit more.
But I never have any problems with them at all. Plug and play almost anything.
Burn almost any media. VLC, Celluloid, Parole, even the standard "Video Player".
If I recall, I did have to enable DRM.

Teac...now there's a name I've not heard or seen for a very long time

Did they change their name to Tascam?

But I never have any problems with them at all. Plug and play almost anything.
Problems surely depend on usage to some degree, no? We have had rather high usage rates for dvd units here, both internal and external units for data back-ups on a daily basis for many years. As well as that, they've been used for viewing films, creating dvd presentations, and a lot of experimental moving image art by a couple of professional artists. We have also in the past used the units to burn dvd media for regular distribution of free software through a couple of LUGS for many years until the demand became dormant in recent years.

As for brands, Pioneer have been the most durable followed by LG.

Last edited:
Your problem may be worth a connection with the manufacturer..... Teac...?

Or simply return it to the place of purchase. You should not have to jump through all these hoops, just to play a dvd

Latest posts