DVD unit doesn't work

sinergy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
how can I check the status of a DVD unit in FEDORA 35?
I can introduce and extract a DVD but when I run VLC the media can't be found. Something is clearly not working.
It may well be that I am missing the dvd hardware drivers?

Are you trying to play a shop-bought, commercial DVD or a home-made one?

commercial

Also, I have installed both libdvdcss and vlc
UPDATE:

I run the command lshw, and the output is:
*-cdrom
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: DVD-RAM UJ8E2 S
vendor: MATSHITA
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 1.00
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

The CD Rom unit itslef is MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ8E2 S (1.00)

I can see that the last line from the lshw command has the "status=nodisc"
That might mean something I guess
When I insert a DVD the output form lshw doesn't show the cdrom any longer....

Last edited:
this is a slimline optical drive, most of them are made by TESSCORP in Korea and branded out under dozens of different names,
Was it working OK before you added Fedora? it may be a simple dependency issue here are the main ones that you need
libdvdcss
libdivx
libx264
libdca
libdvbpsi
libdvdplay
libdvbcsa

edit
if it is a commercial DVD then check your region settings, best if it is set to "0" for universal

What does VLC say your "Disc device" is? Open VLC and click through the following to find it. Normally it is something like:

Media -> Open Disc |Disc device |/dev/sr0|

If the box is empty, you could fill it with your dvd device, e.g. /dev/sr0 and see if that lets VLC know the device.

It's a VLC thing with certain optical drives. Do as @Brickwizard suggests in checking dependencies.
I just go with SMPlayer or whatever is on my distro. Gave up on VLC.

this is a slimline optical drive, most of them are made by TESSCORP in Korea and branded out under dozens of different names,
Was it working OK before you added Fedora? it may be a simple dependency issue here are the main ones that you need
libdvdcss
libdivx
libx264
libdca
libdvbpsi
libdvdplay
libdvbcsa

edit
if it is a commercial DVD then check your region settings, best if it is set to "0" for universal
Hi, originally I had a windows system installed and by that time it didn't work already, didn't read any CD/DVD and actually it made the whole laptop get stuck at times.
After installing fedora, I see that I can operate it, still the VLC player doesn't see the DVD unit not just the disk (the actual DVD)
I think that the DVD and my laptop are coded to accept locally commercialized DVDs. (BTW: how do I check the region settings?)
I'll check those libraries and see if anything changes,
Meanwhile I'll also install the other players
I have another player that comes with my Fedora distro, but it also can't see the dvd unit (can't remember its name)

Seems like the problem is either the player or the DVD, it could have something to do with DRM, maybe VLC has a bug because it's not a perfect program.

Also check to see if regionset is installed or not - Regionset is a small utility which displays and sets the region/zone setting of a DVD drive, allowing it to decrypt the DVD's sold in this geographical zone. Hardware vendors often limit the number of such modifications, but it is necessary to set it at least once with a brand new drive.

VLC won't play M4V videos that are DRM protected. VLC shows a black screen when playing DRM M4V videos purchased from iTunes. You have to remove the DRM from encrypted M4V videos you'd like to play in VLC. You can use solid DRM removal software like MacX MediaTrans. It can remove DRM from iTunes and convert M4V to DRM-free MP4 format. Then you can play M4V in VLC without issues.

libdvdcss
libdivx
libx264
libdca
libdvbpsi
libdvdplay
libdvbcsa

edit
Hi, I'm trying to check/Install libraries as per the list above:
Apparently
libdivx, libdvdplay
aren't present.
When I try to install libdivx, I can't find it anywhere. (sudo dnf install libdivx) I also went to https://packages.fedoraproject.org to search for it to no avail. Is it possible that some letters are missing?
Same story for libdvdplay
(update:
I tried to install libdvdplay from its rpmsphere repository, by following the instruction on https://fedora.pkgs.org/36/rpm-sphere-x86_64/libdvdplay-1.0.1-5.1.x86_64.rpm.html

Install Howto​

1. Add RPM Fusion repositories to your system
  2. Download latest rpmsphere-release rpm from https://github.com/rpmsphere/noarch/tree/master/r
  3. Install rpmsphere-release rpm: # rpm -Uvh rpmsphere-release*rpm
  4. Install libdvdplay rpm package: # dnf install libdvdplay
However the command # rpm -Uvh rpmsphere-release*rpm says File not found: rpmsphere-release*rpm

When I try to run sudo dnf install libdvdplay from git-hub an xml file couldn't be found and the repository has been discarded ....

Last edited:
I see you have not installed libdvd-pkg this contains everything you need to watch DVDs as far as codecs goes
after installation run
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg
I do not know if it is available for Fedora or not - it is for Debian/Ubuntu

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you have not installed libdvd-pkg this contains everything you need to watch DVDs as far as codecs goes
after installation run
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure libdvd-pkg
I do not know if it is available for Fedora or not - it is for Debian/Ubuntu
When I search libdvd-pkg in the https://packages.fedoraproject.org I get lot of entries but none with the full name of the package. Does it mean that the package in question is not there?
When I run
sudo dnf install libdvd-pkg
I get:
created by dnf config-manager from https://github.com/rpmsphere/noarch/tree/master/r 109 kB/s | 199 kB 00:01
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'github.com_rpmsphere_noarch_tree_master_r':
- Status code: 404 for https://github.com/rpmsphere/noarch/tree/master/r/repodata/repomd.xml (IP: 140.82.112.3)
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'github.com_rpmsphere_noarch_tree_master_r': Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot dow
nload repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried
Descartando repositorios: github.com_rpmsphere_noarch_tree_master_r
Última comprobación de caducidad de metadatos hecha hace 3:25:07, el jue 11 ago 2022 11:19:11.
No hay coincidencias para el argumento: libdvd-pkg
Error: No se pudo encontrar ningún resultado: libdvd-pkg
If I run
sudo apt-get install libdvd-pkg
I get
Leyendo lista de paquetes... Hecho /reading packages list ... Done
Creando árbol de dependencias... Hecho / Creating dependencies tree .... Done
E: No se ha podido localizar el paquete libdvd-pkg / Package libdvd-pkg cannot be found
I guess I may either missing some repositories or am using the wrong command (or both?) or libdvd-pkg is not just part of any repos ....

When I search libdvd-pkg in the https://packages.fedoraproject.org I get lot of entries but none with the full name of the package. Does it mean that the package in question is not there?
Then it does not exist for Fedora

I see this error -
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'github.com_rpmsphere_noarch_tree_master_r':
- Status code: 404 for https://github.com/rpmsphere/noarch/tree/master/r/repodata/repomd.xml (IP: 140.82.112.3)

A 404 error is an HTTP status code that means that the page you were trying to reach on a website couldn't be found on their server.To be clear, the error indicates that while the server itself is reachable, the specific page showing the error is not.

Members online