Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

Drivers

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by Tim Poole, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Tim Poole

Tim Poole New Member

Hi, I am a C programmer who would like to get involved with writing drivers. Any suggestions?

atanere likes this.
  2. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Hi Tim, and welcome to the site! I think this page might be a good place for you to start. Good luck!

wizardfromoz and nuna like this.
  3. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

What a wonderful ambition :)

No need to reply if you are busy writing those drivers, Tim ... but welcome to linux.org :p

Whether you do it voluntarily to start with and then use it as a stepping stone to other vocational progressions ... cool. There are Linux Distros as you have likely found, that have a business model incorporating Server provision and maintenance, such as Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS &c, and at your age (I snuck a peek, always do, lol) if you have been a C programmer for some time, then you are likely a number of steps ahead in the right direction.

More power to you, and hope we see you around.

Avagudweegend all.

Chris Turner
    wizardfromoz

atanere likes this.
  4. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Well-Known Member

I am a C and C++ programmer, though I am more of a userspace/desktop applications programmer. I've done a small bit of tinkering at kernel level, but not a lot. I followed a couple of tutorials on how to develop a kernel module, and tried debugging a couple of modules, but I've never gone as far as joining any mailing lists or anything.

However, the link shared by Stan/Atanere (the official docs for the Linux kernel project) will tell you all you'll need to know and more!

atanere and wizardfromoz like this.