Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Note: we recently updated out site software, please report any unseen issues - we do this often to insure your information is secure.
    Dismiss Notice

Drivers

Discussion in 'General Linux' started by Tim Poole, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Tim Poole

Tim Poole New Member

Hi, I am a C programmer who would like to get involved with writing drivers. Any suggestions?

atanere likes this.
  2. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Hi Tim, and welcome to the site! I think this page might be a good place for you to start. Good luck!

wizardfromoz and nuna like this.
  3. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Well-Known Member

What a wonderful ambition :)

No need to reply if you are busy writing those drivers, Tim ... but welcome to linux.org :p

Whether you do it voluntarily to start with and then use it as a stepping stone to other vocational progressions ... cool. There are Linux Distros as you have likely found, that have a business model incorporating Server provision and maintenance, such as Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS &c, and at your age (I snuck a peek, always do, lol) if you have been a C programmer for some time, then you are likely a number of steps ahead in the right direction.

More power to you, and hope we see you around.

Avagudweegend all.

Chris Turner
    wizardfromoz

atanere likes this.
  4. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Well-Known Member

I am a C and C++ programmer, though I am more of a userspace/desktop applications programmer. I've done a small bit of tinkering at kernel level, but not a lot. I followed a couple of tutorials on how to develop a kernel module, and tried debugging a couple of modules, but I've never gone as far as joining any mailing lists or anything.

However, the link shared by Stan/Atanere (the official docs for the Linux kernel project) will tell you all you'll need to know and more!

atanere and wizardfromoz like this.